Swart Kat

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont buy yet!!! JUST HOLD ON!!!

You are confirming Shimano 11-speed Mtb groups are on the way 2014 or guys must hold off buying their SRAM kit from anyone else because you guys are getting new stock in asap?

Edited by Skylark

Just completed the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek on my 1x10 using 32T upfront and 11-36T at the back. More than enough top and bottom end for all the stages. "If you can't find it then grind it" ;-)

Very impressive, Chuck Norris bloodline, I'm convinced.

Just completed the Bridge Cape Pioneer Trek on my 1x10 using 32T upfront and 11-36T at the back. More than enough top and bottom end for all the stages. "If you can't find it then grind it" ;-)

Clearly you must be very strong.

I rode 32x42 as did quite a few of the elite riders and found it no problem but disagree that anyone could ride 32x36..

It the same as riding a 26x30, or 4 gears down from your 36 , not many people could push those up a lot of the Pioneer hills.

Clearly you must be very strong.

I rode 32x42 as did quite a few of the elite riders and found it no problem but disagree that anyone could ride 32x36..

It the same as riding a 26x30, or 4 gears down from your 36 , not many people could push those up a lot of the Pioneer hills.

You will be surprised by what you can do with what you have. If I had a 42T then I would have used it but 36T was all I had and somehow you just manage. Main reasons why I went with XX1 cranks is because of the narrow q-factor and the simplicity. I'm not regretting especially the simplicity because I had no major technical issues all race.

Edited by rpedro

You will be surprised by what you can do with what you have. If I had a 42T then I would have used it but 36T was all I had and somehow you just manage. Main reasons why I went with XX1 cranks is because of the narrow q-factor and the simplicity. I'm not regretting especially the simplicity because I had no major technical issues all race.

Also loving the simplicity of it.

I did have issues in the 1st stage with mud where it got into chain and then kept on being thrown from front chainring, was a pain as you needed 2 people to effectively get it back on.

1 to hold and pedal slowly whilst I place chain on chainring and then had to guide until it had done a revolution or 2 to get mud out of chain so it could seat properly.

What q-factor did you go with 156 or 168 on the XX1 crank ?

What q-factor did you go with 156 or 168 on the XX1 crank ?

I went for 156.

I was able to put my cain on by myself. I did notice that it is important to get the chain link and tooth alignment correct because the narrow chain link only fits the narrow chain tooth upfront. If you don't get it right then the chain wont stay on. Stage 1 was hectic but if not for the XX1 things could have been worse i.e. broken chain, derailleur or hanger.

Agreed on stage 1, although ironically my hanger snapped on stage 2, 20km from the end !!

Swartberg in 32x10 is not really fun no matter which way you skin it !!

Agreed on stage 1, although ironically my hanger snapped on stage 2, 20km from the end !!

Swartberg in 32x10 is not really fun no matter which way you skin it !!

Any idea what caused it to snap?

On the prologue I managed to drop my chain couple of 100 meters in. I was on 32/11 at the time. Somehow my right side crank arm manage to pickup the chain and take it off the front chain ring. Freaky and I recon the narrow q-factor also played a role !!!

must of bent it the day before in the mud.

The narrow q factor could well be the cause.

Other than the mud my chain never showed any sign of coming off, even on the fast bumpy descents.