Newbie Needs Bike

Newbie76

Good day all. I've recently bought a Merida TFS which I'm paying off & the mountain biking bug has bit & its bit down hard. I ride Majik as much as possible & did the 150yr Philidelphia race as my 1st. I wanna do more races if budget allows...

My issue is that my wife is so eager to start riding with me which means I'll be able to ride more often... I'm urgently looking for a good quality 2nd hand bike for her. Small to medium frame. If there's anyone out there that perhaps has a bike we can loan or even make a payment plan to buy the bike from. Budget is very tight considering we have a 21month old daughter. If anyone knows or can help pls PM me. Thanks so much. God Bless

Yep there are some seriously cheap bikes in the classifieds.

It's great that your wife wants to join in, mine gets the shakes and runs screaming in the opposite direction when I try and convince her to cycle.

Thanks. I have checked loads of classifieds & have gone to look at a few bikes that are for sale on Gumtree BUT for the price range they are from Noahs arc days. Not that I'm expecting a carbon fibre bike for the budget I have but also don't want the Mrs riding a bike that's heavy or seriously outdated.

Appreciate any assistance in locating a good quality bike for our tight budget..in the region of about R1500.00

Thanks. I have checked loads of classifieds & have gone to look at a few bikes that are for sale on Gumtree BUT for the price range they are from Noahs arc days. Not that I'm expecting a carbon fibre bike for the budget I have but also don't want the Mrs riding a bike that's heavy or seriously outdated.

Appreciate any assistance in locating a good quality bike for our tight budget..in the region of about R1500.00

I am affraid you have champagne taste on a beer budget....you going to have to settle for very heavy and very old in the price bracket

I am affraid you have champagne taste on a beer budget....you going to have to settle for very heavy and very old in the price bracket

Not really !! Maybe old (4 to 5 years) but as long as its not one of those snap,crackle , pop frames (carbon) you will be fine . Bought many cheap (R1 to 2k) MTB of here and scumtree and they are very good bikes . Unfortunately my collection was stolen out of my garage earlier in the year so cannot even sell you one .

Not really !! Maybe old (4 to 5 years) but as long as its not one of those snap,crackle , pop frames (carbon) you will be fine . Bought many cheap (R1 to 2k) MTB of here and scumtree and they are very good bikes . Unfortunately my collection was stolen out of my garage earlier in the year so cannot even sell you one .

For 1500 rond....nee my koot.

For that money you might as well go to makro and buy something there, at least you know its new.

New tech(disc brakes, air forks, tubeless compatible, 10spd) = $$$$$

Lightweight components(exotic materials, top end groupsets, light weight wheelset) = $$$$$

I dont get this...as my beer always cost more than my champagne in the end of the month... ^_^

For 1500 rond....nee my koot.

For that money you might as well go to makro and buy something there, at least you know its new.

New tech(disc brakes, air forks, tubeless compatible, 10spd) = $$$$$

Lightweight components(exotic materials, top end groupsets, light weight wheelset) = $$$$$

Lightweight components ??? WTF . Tubeless compatible , all bikes are toobeless compatible . Stay away from makro bikes , they are not easy to upgrade if you want to at a later stage and are heavy . A Gaint Yukon can be picked up for cheap and then you got a good frame with disks and can take it from there .

I dont get this...as my beer always cost more than my champagne in the end of the month... ^_^

hahahha me too....if I drink enough beer that is... :whistling:

Lightweight components ??? WTF . Tubeless compatible , all bikes are toobeless compatible . Stay away from makro bikes , they are not easy to upgrade if you want to at a later stage and are heavy . A Gaint Yukon can be picked up for cheap and then you got a good frame with disks and can take it from there .

RTFS brother....

His words not mine...."Not that I'm expecting a carbon fibre bike for the budget I have but also don't want the Mrs riding a bike that's heavy or seriously outdated."

Maybe his perception of lightweight and outdated is different to mine....I am managing his expectations here....show me a lightweight bike that isn't outdated for 1500 randelas and I will buy 10 right now.

im goin to look at a Scott YZ3 for R1800.00. anyone know if its worth that?

Those bikes got V-Brakes , look some more .

My wife also joined the MTB craze, was worried will be bit hectic for her, but she is already trying to master bunny-hopping and we are having great fun/laughs on the trials.

Gluck finding a bike, sure you will find one soon.

Not worried about v-brakes as that we can upgrade as she gets more into it.

I appreciate all the comments but seriously my expectations aren't as high as Rouxtjie has made it out to be...but appreciate his comments (or sarcasm) anyway. I know im not gonna find much for the budget hence im asking the question if anyone knows of anything out there for that price range, please let me know... Thanks Marko35s, dirt rider for your constructive comments