Company needed on 200km ride 29 June

hopefield

Let me know when the next one is planned, and try to start a little later - I hate starting off in the morning wearing all my kit and then having to find pockets etc to stash it in. I've a 6-7hr LSD on the cards for next weekend...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The pace will be around 20-25 km/h. With some proper food stops in between. And there is not too much climbing, only bainskloof at the end. (Just dont put slicks on your mtb, dont think I will be able to stand the sight of that for 10 hours)

Agreed, slicks on a MTB look so wrong!

I hate starting off in the morning wearing all my kit and then having to find pockets etc to stash it in.

Agreed! I hate those bumpy back pockets. On the ride we did two weeks ago, the temperature stayed cool enough to keep the leg and arm warmers.

very nice route :thumbup: - be sure to have a plan B for any mechanical failure - a bit tedius to push the bike back from Wolesly if you run out of bombs,tubes or break a chain. :wacko:

very nice route :thumbup: - be sure to have a plan B for any mechanical failure - a bit tedius to push the bike back from Wolesly if you run out of bombs,tubes or break a chain. :wacko:

I will be carrying a buch of spares and tools. (And I have a rescue team on standby, I have needed one of those before :blush: )

Where's the ride report.?

Haha, I did write one, but I lost my camera cable, and now cannot post pics :cursing:

Here is how it all went down:

I started off just after 5 and it was not too long before I got a little bit of mist in places. Nothing too hectic initially, but progressively getting worse and worse. At the time I dubbed the Malmesbury road the graveyard section as it was pitch black dark with white stuff all around, zero visibility, except for the yellow line, and I was all alone - it was spooky as hell! Whenever a car approached I got either completely blinded (I had to stop to be sure not to run into anything or leave the road!) or felt the hairs raise at the back of my neck in fear of being run over. Luckily the mist cleared 20km before Malmesbury and I saw a beautiful sunrise. It turned into a fresh and clear morning, with bright blue skies and lush green fields.

I enjoyed spectacular scenery from Malmesbury to Riebeeck Kasteel, where I stopped for a big breakfast. The ride from there was fast with a nice tailwind and things were going great. That is until I hit the section between Hermon and Gouda... School holidays, month's end and a festival in Tulbagh made that one very busy road without a shoulder. I realised that this can turn into a real graveyard section if I was not careful. I lost count of how many times I had to get off the road and wait for a string of cars and trucks to pass. Cycling this 17km stretch was a stupid idea - I was really scared.

After Gouda the road had a shoulder and traffic subsided. The road surface was not too smooth and the going was a bit harder than I expected, but at least there wasnt any danger of being run over. It has turned into a beautiful day with temperatures perfect for cycling.

Bainskloof was as awesome as always, and I stopped to eat and to get some fresh mountain water. I had another short break in Wellington and then the last few rollers saw me home.

It was a trying day, but also a rewarding one in terms of scenery and the satisfaction of having tamed that 220km of road.

I will post some pictures once I locate that stupid camera cable...

I started off just after 5 and it was not too long before I got a little bit of mist in places. Nothing too hectic initially, but progressively getting worse and worse. At the time I dubbed the Malmesbury road the graveyard section as it was pitch black dark with white stuff all around, zero visibility, except for the yellow line, and I was all alone - it was spooky as hell! Whenever a car approached I got either completely blinded (I had to stop to be sure not to run into anything or leave the road!) or felt the hairs raise at the back of my neck in fear of being run over. Luckily the mist cleared 20km before Malmesbury and I saw a beautiful sunrise. It turned into a fresh and clear morning, with bright blue skies and lush green fields.

I enjoyed spectacular scenery from Malmesbury to Riebeeck Kasteel, where I stopped for a big breakfast. The ride from there was fast with a nice tailwind and things were going great. That is until I hit the section between Hermon and Gouda... School holidays, month's end and a festival in Tulbagh made that one very busy road without a shoulder. I realised that this can turn into a real graveyard section if I was not careful. I lost count of how many times I had to get off the road and wait for a string of cars and trucks to pass. Cycling this 17km stretch was a stupid idea - I was really scared.

After Gouda the road had a shoulder and traffic subsided. The road surface was not too smooth and the going was a bit harder than I expected, but at least there wasnt any danger of being run over. It has turned into a beautiful day with temperatures perfect for cycling.

Bainskloof was as awesome as always, and I stopped to eat and to get some fresh mountain water. I had another short break in Wellington and then the last few rollers saw me home.

It was a trying day, but also a rewarding one in terms of scenery and the satisfaction of having tamed that 220km of road.

Wish I could have ridden it with you - nothing worse than those dodgy sections solo!

LEL is soon now - last few days to get some KM in before tapering. Going to be great!

Guest Frail4Life

Sounded like a nice ride. Pity you had to go it alone.

Stopping your ride because car lights blinded you?

I use LED lights, the baby puts out 220 Lumen which pisses off any on coming motorist.

I assume your time on the bike has been very limited or you are very careful around motorists.

Edited by F_R_A_I_L

Sounded like a nice ride. Pity you had to go it alone.

Stopping your ride because car lights blinded you?

I use LED lights, the baby puts out 220 Lumen which pisses off any on coming motorist.

I assume your time on the bike has been very limited or you are very careful around motorists.

I am definitely very careful around motorists.

It was my first time riding in mist. It was thick, with maybe two metres of yellow line I could see ahead of me. I dont sport the latest and greatest of bike lights - mine works with AAA batteries. Whenever a car approached from the front I got 'lost' in the mist as I could not see the yellow line anymore, and had no idea what the road was doing up ahead. I did not feel like veering off the road before my ride has really started. I dont know, do you think a stronger light would have helped, wont it be like driving in the mist with you brights on?

Edited by hopefield

It was my first time riding in mist. It was thick, with maybe two metres of yellow line I could see ahead of me. I dont sport the latest and greatest of bike lights - mine works with AAA batteries. Whenever a car approached from the front I got 'lost' in the mist as I could not see the yellow line anymore, and had no idea what the road was doing up ahead. I did not feel like veering off the road before my ride has really started. I dont know, do you think a stronger light would have helped, wont it be like driving in the mist with you brights on?

Least yesterday's ride was a much nicer experience. Thanks for the great company. That last stretch to Darling and Yzerfontein was a bit of a battle in the headwind. Would have much rather been surfing on it back to Somerset West with you and Henri.

Guest Frail4Life

Sorry i do not mean to say not to be weary around motorists.

I have three lights to select for the Front light, i do Alot of Night/ Day riding, two handlebar lights, 200 lumen& 500 lumen, one helmet headlamp, 220 lumen. With two rear lights, one to rear of helmet 100 lumen& one 500 lumen on the seatpost.

Yes a stronger light will help, setting the beam to shine low just infront of you, say 50 meters.

Then again i am little robust on the bike, using the strong lights to show the motorists i do mean Businesses!

I have one of these lights....

They work a charm, and can be set to bright (which is REALLY bright) medium, low or strope.

I use them when i go for early morning rides and they show the tar surface perfectly. Also rechargeable which is lekka and lasts about 4 hours on full charge on bright, and about 12 hours from a full charge on low (although low is still pretty good)

So when you hit the mist, you can tone down the brighness and not have the mist reflect back at you