Disc brake hose shortening

M L

All sorted out. Think I dropped some oil while cutting the cable. Got shimano mineral oil (R130), and 2 x 10ml syringes (R5.80) and bled them using the method in the link.

Good to know theres no air in your brakes.

Edited by MTB Marinio

What is this cable you speak of?

Never ever ever ever pull the lever with no pads or a disc fitted to the caliper. Bad things happen.

Also, when a hose is shortened you need to bleed the brakes to be 100% correct.

The insert on new type Shimano levers recommends removing pads to draw pistons out so when you push them back in the fluid runs up pushing bubbles into the reservoir. Makes sense but didnt recall anything about making sure not to pop the pistons but the instructions do assume you have the spacers.

You don't think someone else will/have cut their own hoses without needing them bled? This thread will hopefully give some info on what I did wrong, how to correct it, and how to prevent it for future reference.

Googled and could not find a straight answer to someone who messed up shortening their shimano disc brake hoses.

Tried pumping the lever as per one user's advice but that does nothing. So I suspect there is a air leak in the system but I don't know.

Now, I get the feeling you are still sour about a comment I made, you made your reply and I left it at that, I would appreciate it if you keep your unjust comments to yourself.

WTF did I say wrong...... i took the time to search and give help.

Now go and stuff everything up and I hope it costs you a shyteload of money.

WTF did I say wrong...... i took the time to search and give help.

Now go and stuff everything up and I hope it costs you a shyteload of money.

If I took your post up the wrong way then I apologise.

• 1 month later...

I bought a new set of XT Brakes inc hoses but the rear hose is too short. Is it advisable to use the hose from my old set and just swap them? I would how ever need to cut and swap the connections at the calipers as they are different as seen in pics. both Brake Sets have been bled and in great working order.

post-30270-0-12205100-1377000187_thumb.jpg

post-30270-0-69096200-1377000188_thumb.jpg

I bought a new set of XT Brakes inc hoses but the rear hose is too short. Is it advisable to use the hose from my old set and just swap them? I would how ever need to cut and swap the connections at the calipers as they are different as seen in pics. both Brake Sets have been bled and in great working order.

rather get new hose from your LBS and build up from the ground. i am sure you could use the old ones but for me if its a whole new system rather make sure its all new vs some old some new.

the hydrolic hose isnt that expensive and you will have a complete set of spare breaks to sell or use when needed if you dont poach the hose.

rather get new hose from your LBS and build up from the ground. i am sure you could use the old ones but for me if its a whole new system rather make sure its all new vs some old some new.

the hydrolic hose isnt that expensive and you will have a complete set of spare breaks to sell or use when needed if you dont poach the hose.

True, but would I then need to bleed the brakes again when replacing the hose with a new one?

True, but would I then need to bleed the brakes again when replacing the hose with a new one?

100% but surely you dont want to be running old fluid through a new set of breaks anyway. i am no professional and am only talking from my experience but old breaks fluid should stay far away from new breaks. just my 2c.

its not always necessary but as the breaks are what saves your life and stops you from becoming very well acquainted with the tree/ fence/ cow/ etc. ect. my 2c is any time the hoses are moved away from the place they call home they should be bled.

Edited by DaddyG