Low direct mount Front Derailleur

ACM

Hi hubbers,

Hope you can help with some advice / insight. Some new frames only allow a low direct mount FD. The bottom section of the seat tube is to thick (more than 34.9 mm) or oval (not round) to fit a hang / traditional FD (mounting bracket). From reading and surfing the web it looks like these low direct mount are referred to as an "S3" (SRAM FDs). Shimano refer to these as an E2-type.

The problem I have is that I'm looking at moving my current 3x10 Shimano XT drivetrain to the new frame. I have a traditional FD and will need to replace this. However, I cannot find the E2-type in a 3x10 (only available in a 2x10 on CRC and many online cycle shops I've checked). There is however a E-type (vs. E2-type) that fits onto the Bottom Bracket. This is a "Shimano XT M780 E-Type 3x10 Front Mech". I've come across one website that says one can remove the bottom section of this E-Type (that fits onto the bottom bracket) to fit it as a low direct mount (effectively turning the E-type into a E2-type). I'm just not sure this will work and spending money on a frame and then having to change the drivetrain as well (to either a 2x10 or move to SRAM FD, etc.) is not cost effective.

Has anyone had experience in this low direct mount using a Shimano 3x10 FD?

Thanks!

NS: attached a picture of the E2-type (left) vs. E-Type (right)

post-21593-0-71412600-1373224722_thumb.jpg

Only seen it in high direct - I have a 3 x SLX sitting in my garage, but likely not going to work!

I've used this E-type by simply removing the bottom bracket attachment. However I found that the alignment differed between the SRAM and Shimano and I had to use some washers as spacers for the Shimano to get it right but it's no big deal.

Tx River Rat!!! Are you also running 3x10 with a front of 24/32/42T? What frame did you mount this on?

:clap:

Thanks again for the information; that has been most helpfull!! If I struggle, I might just ask you for a photo of your setup (to see where you've fit the spacers)

It's a Specilalized Epic 29r 24/32/44.

Thanks again for the information; that has been most helpfull!! If I struggle, I might just ask you for a photo of your setup (to see where you've fit the spacers)

With pleasure!