Shimano MT55 wheel conversion to 15mm axle

dillon

Does anybody know if you can buy an adapter to convert the MT55 QR version to a 15mm axle? You can buy the wheel as a 15mm axle, so I am assuming that I can buy the adapter.

Alternatively where can I get a 15mm axle 24 hole hub?

Edited by dillon

I had the reverse problem with EASTON wheels that I bought from CWC. The wheels were equiped for a 15mm tru-axle and I needed a QR option. Wayne, from CWC , were extremely helpfull in sourcing the required adapter.If you look at the EASTON wheels website , there is a video showing the procedures to help you with your conversion. Seems easy enough.

I had the reverse problem with EASTON wheels that I bought from CWC. The wheels were equiped for a 15mm tru-axle and I needed a QR option. Wayne, from CWC , were extremely helpfull in sourcing the required adapter.If you look at the EASTON wheels website , there is a video showing the procedures to help you with your conversion. Seems easy enough.

It's not... very different with Shimano hubs. AFAIK QR hubs are QR hubs are QR hubs and cannot be changed to 15mm / 10mm / 20mm whatever. They're unswappable. But can be reduced if you have a 15mm hub and need it to fit a 9mm fork. With a bit of ingenuity, that is.

Sorry, not much help to you!

I'm pretty sure you will need a new hub, in other words you can't increase Shimano hub's axle size... unlike some other makes

can't find a 24 hole hub with a 15mm axle :cursing:

Looks like I have to purchase a new wheel

ok for the sake of anyone wanting to buy Shimano mountain bike wheels, DON'T DO IT!!

You cannot get spares for the wheels if they break, all I am after is a new hub so I can convert the front wheel to a 15mm axle, but you cannot get a spare hub anywhere! I cannot buy a new front wheel locally, (have to buy the wheel set). Luckily Chainreaction is one click away.

At least I got a brand new Reba shock for R2300, (how some shops are asking R7000 for the Reba is beyond me), so the conversion is still not to bad

ok for the sake of anyone wanting to buy Shimano mountain bike wheels, DON'T DO IT!!

You cannot get spares for the wheels if they break, all I am after is a new hub so I can convert the front wheel to a 15mm axle, but you cannot get a spare hub anywhere! I cannot buy a new front wheel locally, (have to buy the wheel set). Luckily Chainreaction is one click away.

At least I got a brand new Reba shock for R2300, (how some shops are asking R7000 for the Reba is beyond me), so the conversion is still not to bad

Superstar Components. Switch Evo front hub. 15mm standard. Swappable to QR / 20mm / 15mm / whatever. Cheap as chips, and exactly the same as a Hope Pro 2 Evo.

Rim from crc / hub / wherever. Spokes also from Superstar.

You can thank me later

Superstar Components. Switch Evo front hub. 15mm standard. Swappable to QR / 20mm / 15mm / whatever. Cheap as chips, and exactly the same as a Hope Pro 2 Evo.

Rim from crc / hub / wherever. Spokes also from Superstar.

You can thank me later

thanks, ordered a new wheel last night