Frame size

MarkDG

Advise please

If my girlfriend is 1.61m tall and inside leg is 73cm, I am assuming she is between a size 49cm - 51cm. What would be the problems faced with a size 54cm frame? Is this definitely not recommended?

Not recommended at all!

My wife is the same size, and had a 56cm frame (bike shop sold that to her). Se had neck pain and could not handle the bike well.

Get the right bike shop to do a propper fit before you buy.

You spend hours on a bike. Fit and sizing is ultra important. Otherwise you are uncomfortable. Not pleasant. I would especially not suggest a mtb too big, otherwise a face plant may happen sooner than later. This is IMO. Rather visit your LBS for a proffesional opinion. Enjoy

Advise please

If my girlfriend is 1.61m tall and inside leg is 73cm, I am assuming she is between a size 49cm - 51cm. What would be the problems faced with a size 54cm frame? Is this definitely not recommended?

The reach would be too long, because of the top tube length. Anything longer than a 52cm top tube becomes awkward, even if you use a very short stem. Ladies proportions are different to men in that their torsos are generally shorter in relation to their legs. First prize should be a WSD frame.

Advise please

The top tube on a 54cm will be way too long for her. This will stretch her out too much resulting in shoulder pain, neck and lower back pain. It will also result in her pelvis being over rotated placing pressure on her lady bits. She probably won't want sex anymore.

your choice...

Hi everyone,

I recently started cycling, mtb to be specific, my boyfriend upgraded to a new bike, and I took his. Its a 19" frame Merida, and I really do not know if it is too big or not. I am 1.7m(just) tall. Is there a huge difference between a 18" and 19"?

Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to sell the bike unnecessarily as it is a great bike.

You should be on a 17".

Difference from 18 to 19 will be a longer tube and wheelbase bot of which could make the bike difficult to handle effectively