Brakes and Shock on a budget

Rouxenator

My bike is a Zaskar Pro LE 9R... well the frame is. Most of the components were from my old Karakoram and I am gradually replacing them.

The next two "old components" on my list are the brakes, Tektro's that have done 8000+ km and the shock, Suntour XCR that I picked up second hand.

While the front brake is still working like new the rear brake loses pressure about 50km after being bled. The brake pads were replaced and are still in excellent condition. I am therefor thinking maybe the piston is leaking since I do not see signs of leakage anywhere else. The shock is very aqua-phobic and locks up with the slightest sight of water.

Therefore I have decided to take the plunge and replace the brakes and shock. My budget is tight, I would say R3k, any recommendations as to what parts I should consider?

I'd go for these (Deore front & rear fro R 1,300 landed)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67246

With one of these:

Suntour Epicon (VERY good fork by a VERY good manufacturer. Just not as bling as RS / Fox - I'd buy one if I was looking for a new fork on a budget. Suntour answer to RS Reba)

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/55871-suntour-epicon-tad/

Recon Gold (also a very good "budget" fork but I'd rate the Epicon over the Recon.)

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/55421-rock-shox-recon-gold/

I have the Epicon, not a bad fork at all. No trouble over the last 2 years. You won't find any service kits like with RS though if servicing yourself.

My bike is a Zaskar Pro LE 9R... well the frame is. Most of the components were from my old Karakoram and I am gradually replacing them.

The next two "old components" on my list are the brakes, Tektro's that have done 8000+ km and the shock, Suntour XCR that I picked up second hand.

While the front brake is still working like new the rear brake loses pressure about 50km after being bled. The brake pads were replaced and are still in excellent condition. I am therefor thinking maybe the piston is leaking since I do not see signs of leakage anywhere else. The shock is very aqua-phobic and locks up with the slightest sight of water.

Therefore I have decided to take the plunge and replace the brakes and shock. My budget is tight, I would say R3k, any recommendations as to what parts I should consider?

Tapered Headset or normal?

Bargain for a Reba....Where do you get 29er suspension forks from at those prices?

oops sorry, mine is 26er

Tapered Headset or normal?

According to the specs of the frame : Tapered 1 1/8" to 1 1/2" HT

It is supposed to come with : "Fox Racing Shox 32 Float 29 CTD Remote, 100mm Travel, 15x100mm Thru Axle, w/ Rebound Adjust, FIT Damper, Remote Lockout, & Tapered Alloy Steerer"

Edited by Rouxenator

I was thinking of those, but the reviews made me run. Fast.

And the Deore brakes r cheaper. o contest, in this case.

tell you what I have done close to 2000km with the clark brakes, with zero problems. Bleeds easy, stops me quickly, and quiet. I got them for R800 on special at CRC

tell you what I have done close to 2000km with the clark brakes, with zero problems. Bleeds easy, stops me quickly, and quiet. I got them for R800 on special at CRC

Yeah. Apparently there were spots of gross crap with their fitment and quality. I know they make great hoses, so that's what made me look at them.

Seems you got a good pair!

Told the LBS to go ahead and get an Epicon, the price is just shy of R3k according to their quote. They are checking to see if they can fix the rear brake else I'll get Deore seeing as I managed to get the rest of the bike on Deore.

I'm quite happy with Suntour, got more than 6000km from my XCM.