compression socks or not

reteid

I am looking for informed and knowledgeable feedback(prob should look for another forum) but here goes.

I have taken the plunge so to speak and entered 70.3 for next year.not looking to podium at all and the journey is more important than the actual race for personal reasons to me.Of all the disiplines i struggle the most with the running as i am prone to calf issues.would compression socks make any difference as to how sore i feel in the lower leges.I have run a few 2 oceans and even some 100 milers previously,but after some accidents and broken legs,knees and ankles i am just happy to be upright.I do understand that I will not be running 46 min 15km again,but hell i am sore after a run.the muscles are a hurting and not the pins and plates in the legs and i am looking for an answer to that. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

in a nutshell No! there is no scientific proof that compression socks improve or assist during an event there are however we cannot ignore the placebo effect as you will see hundreds of triathletes with compression socks on during events. There are several studies that show the benefits of using compression gear after an event to assist with recovery.

in a nutshell No! there is no scientific proof that compression socks improve or assist during an event there are however we cannot ignore the placebo effect as you will see hundreds of triathletes with compression socks on during events. There are several studies that show the benefits of using compression gear after an event to assist with recovery.

+1

Some studies actually report a drop in performance.... But placebo is a very funny thing. If you like them, try it!

+1. i use compression socks when running marathons and ultras for recovery purposes so they say!

I read an article yesterday on this, found via google. The general consensus is that it will not improve your performance but will aid in keeping your muscles warm and enhance blood flow to the covered area.

It seems that the science on these things is not particularly exact, but it has been mentioned that it could in many cases reduce blood lactate concentration during running and the support the gear gives also assists with the muscle oscillation/movement during the run thus reducing the damage caused by movement/impact during this discipline.

The study that I read about also mentioned the fact that athletes using compression socks had a higher running speed when running at their respective anaerobic threshold. The increased oxygen levels measured whilst wearing compression gear also saw athletes taking longer to reach their anaerobic thresholds.

There was a bit about the recovery benefits of wearing these items, but it was noted that one must either wear them during the event or afterwards given that using them at both junctures was effectively useless.

Here's the link, I don't remember the whole thing, but the article seemed pretty much on the fence as to whether or not to use compression gear.

http://www.runnerswo...ful?page=single

Edited by Jigghead

You are obviously an experienced runner and not knowing your current training history I might be barking up the wrong tree...Maybe if the muscles are sore you are doing to much to soon?

Age, injury etc is a bitch, maybe you need to start running much slower and less than your used to in the past and build up a solid base slowly?

Have used compression socks before ffor recovery, and tbh not convinced that they will stop sore muscles.

Try this. After your run, roll a golf ball under the sole of your foot for about 8 - 10 minutes. In particular, you will find a number of pressure points. Press down on these exerting enough pressure to release stiffness and lactic acid build-up but not too much that it hurts.

This is particularly useful for shin-splints (I Googled this and it sorted me out) but then also found it worked for general stiffness and sore muscles. Cheap and easy. One or two sessions and you will be sorted.

Now can anyone help with the knot in my neck/shoulder I am getting from doing long road rides?

Try this. After your run, roll a golf ball under the sole of your foot for about 8 - 10 minutes. In particular, you will find a number of pressure points. Press down on these exerting enough pressure to release stiffness and lactic acid build-up but not too much that it hurts.

This is particularly useful for shin-splints (I Googled this and it sorted me out) but then also found it worked for general stiffness and sore muscles. Cheap and easy. One or two sessions and you will be sorted.

Now can anyone help with the knot in my neck/shoulder I am getting from doing long road rides?

I also had shin splints and got one from a podiatrist. The ball I got has some small nobs and a band to attach to your ankle which keeps it in place. It also serves to exereise the gait muscles.

wrt to compression the best use I have got out of mine is keeping me warm during winter

...Now can anyone help with the knot in my neck/shoulder I am getting from doing long road rides?

Try this. It's called a Pinook Micro Massager, it sends small electric pulses to the area via some adhesive patches which are applied to the skin on the affected area. Loosens up the muscles etc.

I sleep in a strange position apparently and often wake up with a severe muscle pain in the neck and shoulders. 10-15 minutes of this thing sorts it out every time. Previously it was voltaren and spasmed or the chiro which was not a good idea.

The machine is around R2K (picked mine up at the 94.7 MTB expo last year for R1,600) and is the size of a small iPod. It's rechargeable and the intensity can be adjusted to quite a wide variance.

post-19851-0-49423600-1374589008_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jigghead

You are obviously an experienced runner and not knowing your current training history I might be barking up the wrong tree...Maybe if the muscles are sore you are doing to much to soon?

Age, injury etc is a bitch, maybe you need to start running much slower and less than your used to in the past and build up a solid base slowly?

Have used compression socks before ffor recovery, and tbh not convinced that they will stop sore muscles.

thanks for the feedback.i have been running for nearly 30 years prior to the accident.i started of slowly with walking and then after month or 2 started with 20 min walking as later progressed to 1 min run 4 min walk later 2 run 3 walk etc untill i could run 20m after about 3 months.i try to run 3 times a week and currently do between 8 and 10 km @ 6m/km.i would like to think that it is not too fast too much.it has taken me the best part of a year to get to here.i have never tried compression socks before.

although i have never experienced shin splints,i will go and give this a try.(would a pro iv or a galloway work the best?)

I have found that my compression helps if I wear it after events but did nothing during.

I also struggle with calf stress due to a bad knee and it has helped, but only slightly.

I try run on the balls of my feet for 5 min to warm up as well,

this seems to have helped a bit as well.

thanks for the feedback.i have been running for nearly 30 years prior to the accident.i started of slowly with walking and then after month or 2 started with 20 min walking as later progressed to 1 min run 4 min walk later 2 run 3 walk etc untill i could run 20m after about 3 months.i try to run 3 times a week and currently do between 8 and 10 km @ 6m/km.i would like to think that it is not too fast too much.it has taken me the best part of a year to get to here.i have never tried compression socks before.

Agreed, not to much to soon

What shoes do u run in, maybe something there has changed and causing problems

U probably know that sometimes the same shoe model changes from year to year and maybe what worked once before is no longer suitable for your feet.

although i have never experienced shin splints,i will go and give this a try.(would a pro iv or a galloway work the best?)

Go with Shitelist!

I am looking for informed and knowledgeable feedback(prob should look for another forum) but here goes.

I have taken the plunge so to speak and entered 70.3 for next year.not looking to podium at all and the journey is more important than the actual race for personal reasons to me.Of all the disiplines i struggle the most with the running as i am prone to calf issues.would compression socks make any difference as to how sore i feel in the lower leges.I have run a few 2 oceans and even some 100 milers previously,but after some accidents and broken legs,knees and ankles i am just happy to be upright.I do understand that I will not be running 46 min 15km again,but hell i am sore after a run.the muscles are a hurting and not the pins and plates in the legs and i am looking for an answer to that. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

No, as there seems to be no conclusive proof and because you look like you are late for a soccer match...

Have you ever tried those minimalist shoes or even those 5 finger shoes? My dad's had massive problems with calves as well. He switch from your typical running shoe to 5 finger shoes. Basically he had to change his running style because of them (you almost tiptoe) He's done about 3 Comrades in the 5 finger shoes and he swears by them, his calves have never given him a problem since changing to them. Maybe look into them...?