Budget Tubeless - which tyre?

dylankeyter

Hi Hubbers. I want to make my 26er commuter tubeless but don't want to spend approx. R1000 on tubeless tyres, what non-tubeless tyres have worked for you with a ghetto conversion? The tyres will need to fit on the rim snuggly and I was thinking along the lines of a Kenda Nevegal or Small Block 8, but I'm not sure if they'll work, please advise. Thanks!

My LBS said foldable tyres are the easiest to convert, the wire bead type are apparently a problem.

I had foldable Maxxis Aspens put onto my 26er, with a Stans tubeless conversion, worked really well,

I remember them being quite cheap.

use duct tape also called Gorilla tape for the rim strips one roll is R30 ,roll 3 times around cut valve hole and whalla

Guest Travis.

Dylan, check if you can get some Vredestein Killer Bees UST. They're like R140 a tyre. Super snug fit as well. Low rolling resistance as well - so lekker for a commuter.

i used wire conti mountain king, converts pretty well, but sidewalls are ultra thin. trick is to go to the garage and unscrew the brass nozzle off the gauge handle. Then wrap some paper around the base of your valve, put the end of the gauge pipe directly over the valve. The paper will seal the connection, more air flowing so you can inflate the tire quicker.

I did try kenda small block 8 with out success

Killer Bee will run down in no time for a commuter. But at R100 a tyre it is cheap enough to use.

Don't skimp on sealant. Use Stans.

Guest Travis.

Killer Bee will run down in no time for a commuter. But at R100 a tyre it is cheap enough to use.

Don't skimp on sealant. Use Stans.

I had them on my commuter for 6 months. There was visible wear, but it could've gone at least another 6 months. Depending on how windgat you are on the brakes.

I had them on my commuter for 6 months. There was visible wear, but it could've gone at least another 6 months. Depending on how windgat you are on the brakes.

Interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. I recently graduated to a 29er...should have done it long ago. It came with tubeless tyres. On my first ride I got a puncture but I couldn't fix it with a patch - the glue wouldn't stick. I eventually got it to stick and when I pumped it up the slime came out of hundreds of little holes in the side walls of the tyre. I got fed up and put tubes in and now ride with tubes front and back. I'm new to this tubeless stuff but it seems that a puncture is quite difficult to fix out on a ride - how do you do it? What is actually the benefit of tubeless?

Hi guys. I recently graduated to a 29er...should have done it long ago. It came with tubeless tyres. On my first ride I got a puncture but I couldn't fix it with a patch - the glue wouldn't stick. I eventually got it to stick and when I pumped it up the slime came out of hundreds of little holes in the side walls of the tyre. I got fed up and put tubes in and now ride with tubes front and back. I'm new to this tubeless stuff but it seems that a puncture is quite difficult to fix out on a ride - how do you do it? What is actually the benefit of tubeless?

THAT is EAXCTLY the benefit of tubeless...no more punctures/flats...even says so on the Stans bottle!! you're doing something wrong...

Only huge 5mm + holes will not seal properly - for that you use a tyre plug - just like car tyres (obnly smaller)

Side wall cuts - those you fix with a tyre boot - which you have to sglue on...

<Me, i haven't had to repair a tyre in the past 3 years... now I probably jinxed myself by saying that!!

• 1 month later...