mtb chain lube 60km race or more

mudda

best lube if you don't want to keep reapplying lube is wire rope dressing. But you pansies won't like it because it will soil yu carefully oiled legs, is messy to apply and is black as tar.

Next best is finishline wet lube. Dry wax lubes belong on pampered road bikes. MTB's need a mans lube

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did some extensive reading about this and found the www.friction-facts.com website very helpful, where they have done some incredible testing into lube chain efficiency, they also did a efficiency test under "simulated dirty, wet conditions" obviously real world testing couldn't be done. But I was using White Lightning Epic Ride and changed over to Finish Line after reading the PDF. You can download some free results of the tests they have done, they have shown that parafin wax is the best in terms of least amount of watts in both efficiency and longevity results

Here is the image from the efficiency test

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5549/9396916943_8d017bd211_b.jpg

Edited by jadeg

After 45 km off-road in a mtb race with 15 to 25km or more still to go, its not "marketing speak" or "graphs". I think the stage racers will probably have good advice on what to use and is effective ...

I would like to see the same efficiency graph after the race just after you cross the finish line, not before you start off.

I think I will try "Go Chainwax from Bearing-Man".

Ideally it will be something that does not "soak" up the dirt, and keeps it lubbed till the end - or at least near the end of the race...

Give rhollof an try its an smal bottel but jou apply one drop to a link .I find it holds me at least 4 rides (avg 50km ride) but it doesn't make your chain as dirty as chainL . I used finish line but didn't work for me ..

If you can find it pay the R90 for it . I think it would solve all you problems

Explain efficiency in terms of lube....I see they have watts on the y axis of that graph, what does this actually mean

Three properties I look for in a lube

Extends life of drivetrain

Lasts longer than a 100km

Doesn't make the cassette a clumped mess

Explain efficiency in terms of lube....I see they have watts on the y axis of that graph, what does this actually mean

Three properties I look for in a lube

Extends life of drivetrain

Lasts longer than a 100km

Doesn't make the cassette a clumped mess

These are obviously under close to perfect conditions and not real world at all, The test was mainly to establish which chain lube would be most efficient, in terms of frictional losses. This was the test bench, So no jockey wheel and other factors.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7363/9396967361_7a7575b901_b.jpg

The second test they did was simulated dirt, with the chain spinning under load, gravel and dirt were sifted onto each chain for 30 seconds, then chains were sprayed with 30 full pumps of an industrial spray bottle, then another 30 seconds of dirt was applied. Then allowed to run for 60 minutes while covered in dirt and water. As said not real world conditions at all, but a good way to try and simulate it.

Graph looks like this below. But please read the full report at friction-facts.com, like how they got to the results, cleaned each chain, lubed each chain in a bath of lube with an agitator and so on.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3724/9399767262_ac6e8406b6_b.jpg

If you understood the chemistry of parafin wax you would know that its not the best lubricant for a low speed application....

But you read it on the internet so it must be true

These are obviously under close to perfect conditions and not real world at all, The test was mainly to establish which chain lube would be most efficient, in terms of frictional losses. This was the test bench, So no jockey wheel and other factors.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7363/9396967361_7a7575b901_b.jpg

Ahh ok, now I get efficiency ito the test but to be absolutely honest, its not a property I am concerned with when it comes to lubes...making my drivetrain last longer, having to apply less frequently and less clogging up are far more important to me.

Ahh ok, now I get efficiency ito the test but to be absolutely honest, its not a property I am concerned with when it comes to lubes...making my drivetrain last longer, having to apply less frequently and less clogging up are far more important to me.

Yeah, I think its similiar to most things, what works for you, try it and test it and if it works for you stick with it :D

And we're back to the cop out answer of "ride what you like"...

So we go from an absolute declaration to a cop out..............aibo, cyclists will buy into any fad.

Since you downloaded the report (I can't be bothered to download drivel even if it's free) what was the tension in the chain during these tests?

What was the speed of the chain?

At what temperature was the test conducted?

the guys with squirt started vloeking at sterkfontein dam.

That was me :excl:

I now stay far away from that stuff, constant caking and my chain screaming like a nun on her secret wedding night.

I use the white lightening wet ride and love it, it also cleans off very easily

Its the purple bottle

And we're back to the cop out answer of "ride what you like"...

So we go from an absolute declaration to a cop out..............aibo, cyclists will buy into any fad.

Since you downloaded the report (I can't be bothered to download drivel even if it's free) what was the tension in the chain during these tests?

What was the speed of the chain?

At what temperature was the test conducted?

Are you that desperate for some attention, or are you smoking tik....relax max...its not friday yet...we all just chatting about it.

That test just indicated watts using different types of lubes...its not going to end world hunger, get over it