Multivitamins - Yes or No

Guest Latent Blue

VitB is clinically proven to do precisely f***all... your body just excretes it! Nothing, zero, ziltch...

You are all suffering from the placebo effects however... which is actually very good for your health!

The power of possitive thinking (when it comes to medicine) is actually very true and very beneficial!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to take those Vital Vitamin C chewables. I eat it like candy , kinda like the Super-C sweets. But other than that, i get the rest from a shake (Evox Shakes have the best flavours).

Re the OP's statement that the fitter you get the more prone to illness is not quite right. being fit will boost your immune system and you will get over illness quicker. But when you get run down from hard training you are more vulnerable. You are also more vulnerable to illness directly after a long hard session

Thanks for this, I know of someone that does 100km rides or long distance runs very often and he is constantly getting sick, So makes sense that his body is vulnerable after those sessions.

This isn't true. Taking too many vitamins has been shown to reduce life expectancy and increase risk of certain cancers, multiple peer reviewed double blind medical trials.

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

This is a very interesting article

"likely explanation is that free radicals aren’t as evil as advertised. (In fact, people need them to kill bacteria and eliminate new cancer cells.) And when people take large doses of antioxidants in the form of supplemental vitamins, the balance between free radical production and destruction might tip too much in one direction, causing an unnatural state where the immune system is less able to kill harmful invaders. Researchers call this the antioxidant paradox"

Omega 3 capsule every morning works for me. Or it tricks my mind into believing it works for me. Take your pick.

Leaves me with fishy burps for the rest of the morning though. Anybody else get this?

Few things here:

http://www.photosfan.com/images/health-and-dietary-supplements1.JPG

I'm not sure how accurate it is, but everything on the internet must be true...

And if you want a good read on these type of things read Bad Science by Ben Goldacre... Awesome stuff on placebo and pharmaceutical companies- research that is actually true.

So since I have started this pretty addictive thing called mtb, I've noticed some changes... Like if I have more than 2 beers, I can feel it (slight headache) the next morning, which never happened before.. My wife says its because I'm getting fitter, As I understand when you get fitter you are more prone to sickness, I'm generally not a very sick person, but I would like to know if anyone advises taking a multivitamin. The doctor says there is no real benefits, if you are eating relatively healthy. He did mention its advisable to take omega 3 if you have heart problems, and vitamin D and zinc for woman over 40 with menopause, otherwise its people getting rich off your money..

What does everyone feel? Is it worthwhile?

I have not read the whole thread, but here goes. We have been using multivitamins for the last 20 odd years now. Every day for a week, every week for a year and for twenty years. That is the successful recipe for using vitamins. What we do find is a heightened resistance to colds and flu. We still get flu but we get over rather quickly. Not the old remedy of with medicine two weeks and without medicine 14 days. It worx for us and we will continue doing it. We use a multivitamin, calcium, anto-oxidant and something for arthritis.

O ja, the most important supplement is Salusa 65....... you have to swallow it very quickly or your tongue gets stiff!!!!!

....... you have to swallow it very quickly or your tongue gets stiff!!!!!

Wrong pilletjie Oom :whistling:

Calcium and Vit D combo 5 x per week with evening meal.

Multi vit every 2 or 3 days with breakfast (used to take them every day) but now evolved to every 2 or 3 days.

Berocca every day..............

Some days a Guronsan C as well.

I dont believe in it, but also believes it can do no harm......

Edited by Tubeless

According to the World Health Organisation vitamin supplements are just that - supplements. If you have a deficiency they may assist, but should not be your first port of call. Your diet should be. Now if you'll excuse me, I have an egg McMuffin that needs my attention.

Guest Latent Blue

Few things here:

And if you want a good read on these type of things read Bad Science by Ben Goldacre... Awesome stuff on placebo and pharmaceutical companies- research that is actually true.

Ill have to strongly disaggree with St John's Wart

The use/dosage is not regulated...

It can pose serious health risks and can be very dangerous!

(though its effect is true and has been proven)

Few things here:

I'm surprised and bit disappointed in the position of spirulina. I am currently so chuffed with my spirulina/chlorella and sea vegetable morning drink....................

I do not see msm there. Nevermind, I see it is under conflicting. To take or not to take, mmm......

Also trying out gingko biloba..........well not for long it seems

Edited by Jaco-fiets

It would be interesting to see the research from the conflicting ones and who was funding them... Well all of them really, but a company would be pretty daft to publish something that disproves their product. The same can however be said for researchers- the more controversial the more publicity.

Edited by RexFuzzle

Omega 3 capsule every morning works for me. Or it tricks my mind into believing it works for me. Take your pick.

Leaves me with fishy burps for the rest of the morning though. Anybody else get this?

Try buy a slight more expensive one, one that says no fish smell, something like Solar. And drink them before you go to bed

I have never felt a difference when having those injections

Lucky you, it hurts my ass like hell!

And FYI the nurse I use is female!