Bike Stolen After Die Burger

Rich Stan

Hi,

My White Giant Anthem X1 was stolen off my locked bike rack on my car. I was parked in Dorp street getting something to eat at around 14:30, when I came back out the lock had been cut and my bike was gone.

It is a 2012 Model, medium, white, with the shifters and front derailleur upgraded to x9 from the standard x7.

If anyone comes across it, saw anything or can help please let me know! Feel a bit lost without her.

Cheers

Condolences! I konw how you feel. Sounds like a professional job but someone must have seen something. I put up reward posters and got my bike back in 3 days. it might be worth a try.

One of the TMB club members also had his bike stolen in Dorp Street a few months back.Around lunch time on a Saturday.Also cut off his bike rack.

This doesn't help you any, but if you did open a case, you might want to remind SAPS that this happened before in the same area.

Put pressure on the cops!

There's a Stellenbosch stolen bikes thread somewhere with useful info perhaps ... being as competent a Hubber as a I am cyclist, I have no idea where to find it.

How thick was the lock?

Was it a heavy or light duty lock, did they break it off of cut it off with bolt cutters?

Be interested to know how heavy the lock was as I rely on mine which maybe I shouldn't really be doing

Thanks for the idea, will go old school and put up some posters tomorrow.

@Skylark: It was a fairly thick lock, looked like bolt cutters. Never leaving my bike unattended again.

Sorry to hear, but that is what happens in Stellenbosch, can never take your eyes off your bike!

Victim to 4 bike thefts myself over the years. Thus my bike only goes to mountain and back

@Skylark: It was a fairly thick lock, looked like bolt cutters. Never leaving my bike unattended again.

The amount of bikes stollen is Stellenbosh is shocking! I think they are close to busting open a syndicate, some bikes have been recovered but the case is still ongoing.

Talking about busting open, those coil locks are appearantly quite easy to open with a few hard knocks with a hammer.

It is just as easy to saw through those coil locks. Tried it myself once when I lost the key. I was totally amazed how easy it was, took me a full 20 seconds using a normal old ystersaag!

The U-lock seems to be the strongest of them all.

On the go - excuse typo's!

The amount of bikes stollen is Stellenbosh is shocking! I think they are close to busting open a syndicate, some bikes have been recovered but the case is still ongoing.

Talking about busting open, those coil locks are appearantly quite easy to open with a few hard knocks with a hammer.

It is just as easy to saw through those coil locks. Tried it myself once when I lost the key. I was totally amazed how easy it was, took me a full 20 seconds using a normal old ystersaag!

The U-lock seems to be the strongest of them all.

On the go - excuse typo's!

I got a message on the wannabees group yesterday that the cops have caught a couple of the main players in the bike theft syndicate. Something like 15bikes have been recovered

"Laat weet asb vir almal dat n friend van my(Francios Swart) onlangs van sy bergfiets beroof was naby Stellenbosch. Die polisie was gelukkig naby en het die rower vas getrek. Hy sit tans in die tronk en word Dinsdag verhoor. Die polisie het ook beslag gele op 15 ander fietse waarby die spesifieke rower betrokke was.

Nou sal die paaie bietjie meer veiliger wees vir ons fietsryers met sulke tipe mense agter tralies. Dankie aan die polisie wat so flink gereageer het."