warm up on race day

I am a very slow starter and it usuallly take sme 35-45 mins to get into peak race condition on race days. I start the races cold. I require advise on what is the best way to get my body into maximum racing condiiton soon after start? all qualified advise willl be most appreciated. Rgds Deena

Deena I have the same problem. It normally takes me on any ride about 20km's to get breathing properly and to start getting into it.

The big rides are difficult to stay warm on because you normally wait so long to get to the start.

I normally do about 5km's before going to my start pen.While waiting I continue to do some stretch excercises which seems to help a bit.

Other than that it is balls to the wall from the biginning and the body soon settles into the work it needs to do.

Hope this helps.

thanx a stax it is much appreciated.  i will try some warm up prior 2 race start. I have often seen pros on their trainers at the race start. I am a social rided and and ride to keep fit and most importantly enjoy the sport. Hoever like every one else one always wnatas to improve you race time always.

Ideally you should want a good 30 min warm up before a ride. I try and aim for about a 20km warm up, going through the motions, some sprints and then stretching 10 minutes at the start gate before the gun; however due to the early starts for the elites I seldom get to achieve this.

That said, you want at least a half an hour warm up. Your body should then be ready. And don't just stretch either; for one you should never stretch cold and secondly you aren't prepping your cardiovascular system for the onslaught

Warming up for 20km's doing sprints and the like would leave me Dead at the start line

sh*te your warm up is almost a training rideOuch

lol the idea is to feel slightly worked at the start line; that way you don't shock your body when the action starts early, you are ready for anything. Anything less and I can feel that I am not running with all cylinders firing. If the ride is close enough to home, it is awesome to ride back too; you have no idea how much of  world of good that does for you

Oh yes I remember riding back home once before from a race. The only positive thing which ever came out of that was my wife could not ask me to do any further meaningless tasks around the house because the only thing my body was capable of operating was the TV remote control.

Oh yes I remember riding back home once before from a race. The only positive thing which ever came out of that was my wife could not ask me to do any further meaningless tasks around the house because the only thing my body was capable of operating was the TV remote control.

ha ha ha that isn't such a bad thing then. The rest of the day is pretty much of a write off. I find that having an hour power nap works wonders...... that and a shot of adrenaline

A shot of Adrenaline?? I am looking more for a shot of Morphine

LOL let me see what I have in my medicine cupboard

A shot of Adrenaline?? I am looking more for a shot of Morphine

LOL let me see what I have in my medicine cupboard

Red Bull works for me.StarStarStarStar