To 650b, or not to 650b, that is the question...

Craigwt

Hey all,

Im currently riding a Giant Trance 29er and I'm getting a lot more comfortable on the downhills and having a lot of fun with it, even started going to G-Spot and doing some of the medium sized jumps there. I have not ridden a smaller wheel size so I have no experience to draw from, but when you read about wheels the general consensus is that the smaller wheeled bikes are more fun/playful/maneuverable. Would it be a worth while switch to go with something like the Pyga 650b? I don't do any racing, and I suspect that there's not much in it between the wheel sizes when doing long distance slowish rides.

What do you think? I'm going to try get hold of a demo bike, but it will be hard to draw any conclusions from one ride. :(

Hi Craig, if you going to buy a new bike then I'd say def look at the Pyga OneTwenty650b, but thats purely rom the Pyga is a great bike, but then you could also consider the Pyga OneTen29er.

But also nothing wrong about going to Cliff and Mark (which happens to be in Cpt) and riding the 29er and 650 back to back over the same ground, and comparing,

G

Look, I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into a wheelsize debate again. However, it seems Giant (with their new campaign) enjoy half-truths or "cherry picking".

If you say 650b rolls better than 26" and handles better than 29" you are implicitly hiding the inconvenient truth that it also rolls worse than a 29'er and handles worse than a 26".

In the end I reckon your money would be better spent taking your (already great) 29'er on a fat holiday applying your newly developed skills in some sick places like Europe. You'll get way more from it than the marginal handling benefits.

Try some cheaper improvements too e.g. play with your stem ( :ph34r: ) lengths, get a dropper post, ride with flat pedals ( :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: ).

Jokes aside, ask yourself whether you noticed that you were struggling with your riding before the 650b hype and if so, why didn't you go 26'er then?

Who are Cliff and Mark? Do they sell Pyga's?

awesme: You have a 650 Pyga right? Are you still loving it? or will you be selling it at a ridiculously marked down price some time soon? :devil:

Cliff Becket and Mark Hopkins from Pyga, I'll PM you their contact details.

And I love my Pyga, went riding yesterday, wen't up inclines i would never even have considered in the past, as a technical riding bike it's amazing, (Here I can compare my old bike and the new Pyga, as in what I could do before and not and now).

As for that ridiculous price, sorry, nope, staying all mine.

G

Who are Cliff and Mark? Do they sell Pyga's?

awesme: You have a 650 Pyga right? Are you still loving it? or will you be selling it at a ridiculously marked down price some time soon? :devil:

Craig, if you want an honest opinion on what the trance 29er can do, and is capable of, give Daniel Dobinson of iride Africa a call. He tested one for quote a while and was blown away by its capabilities.

Personally I'd keep the trance niner. It's one helluva capable bike from what I've been told (and read) and it will continue to be so.

Plus you'll have a collectors item soon ;)

Nico

Thats why I suggested Craig go ride the 29er and 650b back to back, and see what works for hime.

Sales/Marketing will always spin their view positive values/points and side step, avoid the less than positive points.

G

Look, I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into a wheelsize debate again. However, it seems Giant (with their new campaign) enjoy half-truths or "cherry picking".

If you say 650b rolls better than 26" and handles better than 29" you are implicitly hiding the inconvenient truth that it also rolls worse than a 29'er and handles worse than a 26".

In the end I reckon your money would be better spent taking your (already great) 29'er on a fat holiday applying your newly developed skills in some sick places like Europe. You'll get way more from it than the marginal handling benefits.

Try some cheaper improvements too e.g. play with your stem ( :ph34r: ) lengths, get a dropper post, ride with flat pedals ( :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: ).

Jokes aside, ask yourself whether you noticed that you were struggling with your riding before the 650b hype and if so, why didn't you go 26'er then?

Its funny you should say this. I already have a dropper post, and have already made the switch to flat pedals :) and getting a shorter stem is what started this whole investigation into a new bike.

Because of Giants ridiculous OD2 "standard" that they're pushing, its going to cost me close to R1k just to try a shorter stem. For R4k I could get a adjustable revelation and a new shorter stem and then still have my old fork and stem to sell. But this would be a further investment into 29er parts :)

So, I'm just playing with the idea of switching to a smaller wheel, even 26er would work, only that the Pyga I like is not available in 26er :)

So yes, I'm not trying to debate the benefits and drawbacks of wheel sizes. I'm kinda asking if smaller wheeled bikes are tons more playful/fun, or is there only a marginal difference :)

Craig, if you want an honest opinion on what the trance 29er can do, and is capable of, give Daniel Dobinson of iride Africa a call. He tested one for quote a while and was blown away by its capabilities.

Personally I'd keep the trance niner. It's one helluva capable bike from what I've been told (and read) and it will continue to be so.

Plus you'll have a collectors item soon ;)

Haha, yeah, I pulled up next to him at a skills clinic he was about to give and he had one :)

Nico

Thats why I suggested Craig go ride the 29er and 650b back to back, and see what works for hime.

Sales/Marketing will always spin their view positive values/points and side step, avoid the less than positive points.

G

Totally. I just think that if people bought 29" for the rolling benefits, then going down to 650b for better handling makes less sense. Rather then get a 26" basically for nothing if handling is your main concern. I am not convinced that 650b will roll that much better than 26" (speculating, because I haven't ridden one yet).

And seriously OP, try going with shorter stem lengths and different angles. Will make a difference to handling and playfulness of the bike. I went from 90mm to 75mm on my Stumpy 29'er and I can feel the difference.

But take this man's advice and go test ride the 650b and thereafter ride your bike. I reckon the guys from Pyga have enough integrity that they might even advise you not to make the switch.

As said (in a dif thread), if you have a ride that works, ride it. have fun.

If you in the market, then look at the 650b and 29er. compare them for what your'e doing, find a bike you enjoy, never mind the wheel side, i'd ignore the 26er, think we can all see the writing on the wall,

Allot of vendors is throwing allot of money to 650b, think we can see the bulk of R&D budget going there,

G

Its funny you should say this. I already have a dropper post, and have already made the switch to flat pedals :) and getting a shorter stem is what started this whole investigation into a new bike.

Because of Giants ridiculous OD2 "standard" that they're pushing, its going to cost me close to R1k just to try a shorter stem. For R4k I could get a adjustable revelation and a new shorter stem and then still have my old fork and stem to sell. But this would be a further investment into 29er parts :)

So, I'm just playing with the idea of switching to a smaller wheel, even 26er would work, only that the Pyga I like is not available in 26er :)

So yes, I'm not trying to debate the benefits and drawbacks of wheel sizes. I'm kinda asking if smaller wheeled bikes are tons more playful/fun, or is there only a marginal difference :)

Totally. I just think that if people bought 29" for the rolling benefits, then going down to 650b for better handling makes less sense. Rather then get a 26" basically for nothing if handling is your main concern. I am not convinced that 650b will roll that much better than 26" (speculating, because I haven't ridden one yet).

And seriously OP, try going with shorter stem lengths and different angles. Will make a difference to handling and playfulness of the bike. I went from 90mm to 75mm on my Stumpy 29'er and I can feel the difference.

But take this man's advice and go test ride the 650b and thereafter ride your bike. I reckon the guys from Pyga have enough integrity that they might even advise you not to make the switch.

Cool, think I will phone around after a stem today and give it a try. Just half the shops I speak to basically laugh at me when I mention OD2 :)

Who in CPT are really good at supplying giant parts? Any Ideas? :)

check PM's/Inbox

G

Cool, think I will phone around after a stem today and give it a try. Just half the shops I speak to basically laugh at me when I mention OD2 :)

Action in town. Ask for Devon or Marco.