Which 29er for my purpose - advice please?

racman

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Full spec?

Its original, except for the Tubeless conversion.

Fox Float Fork and Shock (both CTD)

SRAM X7 Shifters and Front Derailleur

SRAM X9 Type 2 Rear Derailleur

SRAM S1000 Crankset 24/38

Giant PXC 29 2 Wheels with Nobby Nic Snakeskin tyres (Tubeless ready)

Giant Contact Switch-R adjustable seatpost

I may well be missing something here, but if its only the riding position that is wrong, that can be changed without much effort.

thinking out loud...

A short riser stem and riser bar will bring the hands up by ~100mm and back by ~50mm - not too bad so far

If the seat still needs moving forward to get rid of the stretched out seating position than things get a bit more complicated.

An offset seat post can be used to move the seat around if the standard adjustment is not sufficient - but moving the seat forward could be an issue, guessing the seat isn't too far back from the vertical position of the BB if the bike has a race feel.

Comparing the BMC to a Tall Boy

- Head tube is only slightly slacker on the Tall Boy, 69.5 vs 70.2

- Seat tube 73.5 vs 72.4

Putting on a longer fork as already mentioned would increase the head tube and seat tube angles, changing the way the bike feels, putting the seat further back from the BB, and rising the handlebars. Downside would be a slightly higher BB, but not by much.

Might be able to change the head tube angle with an angle adjusting headset of some sort (cane creak make them) not sure on the suitability for this bike.

I agree on some points:

1) Riser bars a distinct possibility

2) Already has an 85mm stem so can go a little shorter I suppose

3) Only difference between BMC and Tallboy ...mmm... maybe a bit more than that and also 26" vs 29"

Maybe I am incorrect and am quite open to being corrected but I am reluctant to change to a different front end with longer travel as this would change the geometry as you intimated.

Again, I may be overthinking this ...