EWS drama llama: Fabien penalized for unauthorized shuttling

Capricorn

Right, so Fabien Barel is at the heart of the latest bit of controversy. Again.

First one was based on a chirp from Syndicate Peaty wrt Fabien not wearing his lid properly. That didn't blow up too much other than on the interwebs

But the latest violation resulted in a sanction by the EWS bigwigs:

Enduro World Series Update: Unauthorized Shuttling?

UPDATE 8-10-13, 11:45pm PST

Race Director, Chris Ball sent this message below:Following a number of requests for information surrounding the five minute penalty issued to Fabien Barel in Crankworx Whistler we would like to clarify the situation. To avoid riders gaining an unfair advantage and to maintain the spirit of the race on the long liaison stages in the Whistler valley, Crankworx created a rule that outlined no outside assistance (including using a vehicle to assist) would be allowed during the event. This rule was further explained and clarified in a mandatory athlete's breakfast scheduled on Friday morning and hosted by the Crankworx Whistler organisers. Rider's who chose not to attend this briefing missed crucial information regarding course changes, details of shuttling and race specific information. We are not responsible for educating riders who choose to miss planned briefings. Following the submission of evidence by a number of sources and a discussion with Fabien where he cooperated fully, admitted to a lack of knowledge of the rule due to team communications and an admission of his use of a vehicle, the organisation chose to apply a five minute penalty to his race time, removing any advantage that may have been gained from his use of the vehicle. We are all now looking forward to an incredible race here tomorrow.

Regards, Chris Ball, Director, Enduro World Series

It started with a Tweet from Lopes:

http://p.vitalmtb.com/photos/stories/2013/08/10/full_Lopes_tweet_EWS_5_219074.jpg?1376161203

Now the internet is swirling with an apparent long standing gripe from Mr Minn direction Barel, based on the following tweets:

post-6789-0-01898400-1376211214_thumb.jpg

ai toggie..

wasn't it Cedric Garcia that just recently said he was leaving DH because the ****s getting too serious? That said, rules are rules: if Fab cut the track (he's being fingered for this at Punta Ala apparently too), and missed a briefing/misunderstood shuttling rules, nothing right sizes your approach like a f'ing hard slap on the ass. DQ and end of story.

but the cynic me is thinking this is a weird case of brand management for EWS. How better to get some attention than to take a back page from a rag and stir up some drama..

wasn't it Cedric Garcia that just recently said he was leaving DH because the ****s getting too serious? That said, rules are rules: if Fab cut the track (he's being fingered for this at Punta Ala apparently too), and missed a briefing/misunderstood shuttling rules, nothing right sizes your approach like a f'ing hard slap on the ass. DQ and end of story.

but the cynic me is thinking this is a weird case of brand management for EWS. How better to get some attention than to take a back page from a rag and stir up some drama..

.........without having to win anything!

could find a crankworx post so ... Who is anka martin?

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9952814/p4pb9952814.jpg

*gasp*

She is Sven Martin's wife...

Please tell me you know who Sven is?!! :P

yeah yeah... i atleast know who sven is..... :ph34r:

I love his vital mtb commentary slideshow thing ....

this is no surprise

Fabian nearly got DSQ'ed in Pietermaritzburg for Illegally practicing the track outside of practice times. He was staying with some ex-DHers from KZN and they were shuttling him on the hill privately.

I have met him a couple of times and hes a really nice guy, but sometimes his actions in racing leave a lot to be desired

She's a sort-of South African slayer of Enduro events.

Yup! she also does very well at Trans Provence.

And when she is in SA and races DH she makes a lt of the boys cry too!

But back on topic...

tsk tsk tsk... Mr Barel! We know you're awesome! So stop hitch-hiking and stop wearing your helmet like a yamaka.

this is no surprise

Fabian nearly got DSQ'ed in Pietermaritzburg for Illegally practicing the track outside of practice times. He was staying with some ex-DHers from KZN and they were shuttling him on the hill privately.

I have met him a couple of times and hes a really nice guy, but sometimes his actions in racing leave a lot to be desired

seriously? seems a case of where's this smoke there's fire.

but at the same time, taking competitiveness to that ragged edge, you are bound to flirt with norms and laws. That said, almost DQ'd, 5min penalties instead of DQs.. he has been well trained to get away with crossing the line...

Edited by Capricorn