2x10 to 3x10 conversion (Giant Anthem)

mataz

My wifes new Giant Anthem X 29er W came out with a 22/36 combo. She is loving it

There you go! That should be more than enough without changing the front derailleur.

I would like to change from a Shimano SLX 2x10 system to a 3x10 on a 2012 Giant Anthem but am not sure what Front Derailleur to order as there are so many different models.

As I understand it the shifters and rear derailleur are not an issue, but I could be wrong on this?

Any advice please?

I'm making a few assumptions but I would imagine she ran a 11-34 cassette with the triple crank having a 24T small ring. Chances are, she's running a 11-36 cassette with the double (26T small ring). These two combinations give you an extremely similar gear ratio. Ie: running 24-34 will almost be the same as 26-36. So the easy gear is still there... It may be the bigger difference between ratios that she is noticing...

Different story if she was running a 22T small ring on the triple.

Edited by Ryanpmb

My wifes new Giant Anthem X 29er W came out with a 22/36 combo. She is loving it

This sounds like the best option, will see whether I can get hold of some of those rings - thanks!

No. You need to adhere to the 1.5 rule. If you run a 22 inner ring on 2x setup you should ideally not go bigger than a 33 or 34 outer ring. Otherwise shifting might be compromised.

With a 38T outer ring on a 2x setup, you should not go smaller than 26 on your inner ring.

Then why do they come out with 36/22 (1.64) and 38/24 (1.58) setups as standard?

Though 38/22 "might" be a little bit too much. Always thought the limit was +-14 teeth

She currently has a 38-24 = 14 tooth difference, which is a standard option offered by Shimano and this is what the bike came with.

If I can find a 36-22, which I have yet to find as standard, I will definitely get it for her. It must be available because @Iapa was able to get one on his wife's bike but I've only found a SLX 9sp "All Mountain" option with a bashguard on the Shimano website, no 10sp as yet that I can see but I'll keep looking.

No need to change front mech

Yes you do. If going from 2x10 to 3x10, then you need to change the FD. The 2x10 cage is much shorter than 3x10 and it will sukkel to drop the chain into granny gear.

If changing from 3x10 to 2x10 you could get away without changing the FD. Wiht the longer cage you have more room for movement

No need to change front mech

Yes you do. If going from 2x10 to 3x10, then you need to change the FD. The 2x10 cage is much shorter than 3x10 and it will sukkel to drop the chain into granny gear.

If changing from 3x10 to 2x10 you could get away without changing the FD. Wiht the longer cage you have more room for movement

Agree 100% but it's not my bike, it belongs to my other half who really battles up the steep climbs with the 2x10 ratio (38-24) and misses her granny gear from her old bike... :)

Tell her to HTFU!!! there if found a perfect place to drop my THFU bomb!!! :clap:

She currently has a 38-24 = 14 tooth difference, which is a standard option offered by Shimano and this is what the bike came with.

If I can find a 36-22, which I have yet to find as standard, I will definitely get it for her. It must be available because @Iapa was able to get one on his wife's bike but I've only found a SLX 9sp "All Mountain" option with a bashguard on the Shimano website, no 10sp as yet that I can see but I'll keep looking.

You can buy just the chainrings from you LBS. No need to get a new crankset.

If there's no "10speed" chainrings, 9 speed will work just fine.

She currently has a 38-24 = 14 tooth difference, which is a standard option offered by Shimano and this is what the bike came with. If I can find a 36-22, which I have yet to find as standard, I will definitely get it for her. It must be available because @Iapa was able to get one on his wife's bike but I've only found a SLX 9sp "All Mountain" option with a bashguard on the Shimano website, no 10sp as yet that I can see but I'll keep looking.
You can buy just the chainrings from you LBS. No need to get a new crankset. If there's no "10speed" chainrings, 9 speed will work just fine.

Actually think I have a 22 tooth chainring lying in one of my drawers. I'll fish it out for you. You'd just need to get hold of a 36 tooth chainring.

Saw this advertised here. https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/58551-shimano-deore-36-tooth-chainring/

Thanks for the help everyone, I now have many viable options to explore and I'm sure I'll find a workable solution soon.

Telling her to HTFU is not going to be one of those options though - have tried this approach on a few occasions, without success......I am sure I am not alone here!