Max Heart Rate Curiosity

1 - be fully rested before the test - so at least 3 days recovery lazing around.

2 - warm up fully - so at least 30 min, and including a few 4 or 5 max efforts of about 30 sec, and 10 min of recovery soft pedalling to recover after that

3 - 4 - 6 45 - 60 seconds max intervals at high cadence with 60 sec rest (depends on your fitness how many intervals)

5 - 1 MAX effort 40sec - 2 min as HARD as possible - cadence 80 - 110 - take the max HR after you blow up completely - sometimes might take a few sec after to get to max.

If you don't feel significantly nauseous after the test for a couple of minutes, then you did not go hard enough - give it a few days and try again. Puking is allowed. Dropping your bike and lying down in the road is allowed... if somewhat unsafe...

Do not do this if you have or suspect you may have any medical conditions other than insanity.......

Thanks, I will be attempting this soon!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A more accurate way than the 220 - your age method is:

I'll do mine as an example:

210 minus half your age (round it up if you're on an uneven age number), 210-(43) 22 = 188

Then subtract 5% of your body weight in pounds ( 72kgs x 2.2) = 158lbs @5% = (7.92) 8

So 188 minus 8 = 180

Then either add 4 for a male

Or add 0 for female.

So mine ends up on 184.

I have found this to be very accurate even when I've done VO2 max tests in the lab.

Hope it helps.

This is still an estimation based on a population group. Might work for you, but won't for everyone.

Edited by seven

Thanks, I will be attempting this soon!

Best way to make sure of this it to plan to have someone with a rotwiler or similar waiting at the point that you think you are going to blow and get them to release the hound. That WILL get you to your max HR trying to sprint away.

Best way to make sure of this it to plan to have someone with a rotwiler or similar waiting at the point that you think you are going to blow and get them to release the hound. That WILL get you to your max HR trying to sprint away.

Remarkably - having people encourage you during the effort does allow you to go harder - maybe some nice groupies in skimpy outfits... :) line em up I say...

It's like intervals - you get better with practice....

Its also a good idea to have some one with you when you do this, not only for the "safety" aspect but also to motivate / goad you to carry on for "just a few more seconds"

Its easy to think you need to stop, when in reality you can probably continue a bit longer. Heart rate takes awhile to catch up to the effort, usually longer than it takes for you to convince yourself you have to stop now....

It's a lot safer to do this on a trainer, with some mates around for encouragement/resuscitation... and a few coffees/beers afterwards... :)

Everything has become too technical, I raced in the era of Greg Lemond and Stephen Roche. Real men, real cyclists. No heart rate monitors or power cranks. Strongest rider wins.

Greg was the first power-meter user. He was Ulrich Schoberer's first customer.