Should i or not

ScottCM

Scott - (ironically) you need to let us know what your budget is please.

There are more than a few hubbers who are willing to help get you a bike that will be perfect for your needs - but we need some input from your side.

What is your budget? And what are your sort of mountain bike goals within the next 12 - 18 months ?

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey ScottC-M,

You mention that you will take around 18-24 months to save up for an upgrade? What rand value do you intend saving up over this period?

The Scott or Silverback would be fine - for now - afterall, its not about the bike, its whats in the heart of the rider :whistling:

If you intend on saving up say 6k (or more) over this period, then I would say go for either the Scott or Silverback now, cause in 18-24 months from now, and with a possible budget of 6k+ to spend on a bike, the upgrade will be very significant in comparison to the option you elect to go for now - especially if you look around, on the hub, for a deal.

Scott - (ironically) you need to let us know what your budget is please.

There are more than a few hubbers who are willing to help get you a bike that will be perfect for your needs - but we need some input from your side.

What is your budget? And what are your sort of mountain bike goals within the next 12 - 18 months ?

My budget at the moment is R1000.00

My goals for the time that i will be saving will be to ride at rietvlei with my sons, ride at the dam when we go fishing as there is always plenty of dirt road and paths around, maybe even do the walkerville race next year April i think just to

get out there and see what its about and have a base to compare to for when i upgrade.

Hey ScottC-M,

You mention that you will take around 18-24 months to save up for an upgrade? What rand value do you intend saving up over this period?

The Scott or Silverback would be fine - for now - afterall, its not about the bike, its whats in the heart of the rider :whistling:

If you intend on saving up say 6k (or more) over this period, then I would say go for either the Scott or Silverback now, cause in 18-24 months from now, and with a possible budget of 6k+ to spend on a bike, the upgrade will be very significant in comparison to the option you elect to go for now - especially if you look around, on the hub, for a deal.

Yes when i upgrade i would like to have saved round 5-7K for something better and more suited for heavy races and stage races etc.

Scott for the riding you will be doing get a bike without a suspension fork. For the budget you have now better components are more important, and to tell you the truth some of those cheap suspension forks are just an anchor.

Scott for the riding you will be doing get a bike without a suspension fork. For the budget you have now better components are more important, and to tell you the truth some of those cheap suspension forks are just an anchor.

Hi Dean so you suggest i should rather be looking at something like this than the Scott or silverback then, why do you say so if i may ask? just need to learn thew reasoning behind these decisions so i can make then for myself in the future.

post-46817-0-25941600-1376981300_thumb.jpg

My budget at the moment is R1000.00

My goals for the time that i will be saving will be to ride at rietvlei with my sons, ride at the dam when we go fishing as there is always plenty of dirt road and paths around, maybe even do the walkerville race next year April i think just to

get out there and see what its about and have a base to compare to for when i upgrade.

Yes when i upgrade i would like to have saved round 5-7K for something better and more suited for heavy races and stage races etc.

Well there you have it, 7k will get you a very decent ride - especially in the classifieds on the hub. Spend the 1k on the Scott and happy riding - see you on the trails....

right right, we have R1000 from your side to spend.

Slowbee is willing to add R100

Mtber Wannabee is putting in R100

Wayne is willing to add in R100

so we are at R1300. Who else can chip in ?

And who else has been scouring the classifieds for something more within the price range, give or take that we may need to get shoes.

I am concerned about that shock on the Silverback. Silverback's are great bikes BUT that shock's coating looks very VERY worn out. This will mean that it will leak oil and lose air pressure (if its a air shock). To fix that will mean he will have to spend at least another R450 for seals and that is IF the shock is still serviceable.

I think I agree. Some shocks are worse than no shocks at all.

Hi Dean so you suggest i should rather be looking at something like this than the Scott or silverback then, why do you say so if i may ask? just need to learn thew reasoning behind these decisions so i can make then for myself in the future.

My reasoning- that any bike that you buy under 5k will have compromises in the quality of the components, the higher the quality of a certain component, the lower the quality of the rest of the bike. Now shocks (strictly speaking a shock is what you get in a dual suspension bike, but in this post I'm referring to your suspension fork as a shock) on bikes in this price range are very basic, and most will not work very well, no damping, which means that they are very springy, and the return of the shock after compression, will hurt your hands just as much as not having a shock at all.

So if you have no shock, the maker of your bike will have more money to spend on other components, and here I'm speaking about the gears, because you are also better off with rim brakes in this price range, for the same reason as not having a shock, disk brakes here are crap, to put it bluntly.

Also having no suspension fork will improve your skills better than having one as you are forced to pick the smoothest line on a trail. But this is moot, if you are riding with your kids, you just don't need a suspension fork.

When do you need a bike......if you are prepared to wait another month or so you will get real bargains at all LBS's as the new 2014 models are launched and then they need to sell their 2013 models

right right, we have R1000 from your side to spend.

Slowbee is willing to add R100

Mtber Wannabee is putting in R100

Wayne is willing to add in R100

so we are at R1300. Who else can chip in ?

And who else has been scouring the classifieds for something more within the price range, give or take that we may need to get shoes.

If he rode a Medium, I would have the perfect bike for him.

I'll chip in R100

When do you need a bike......if you are prepared to wait another month or so you will get real bargains at all LBS's as the new 2014 models are launched and then they need to sell their 2013 models

in no physical rush, just the emotional one to get out there you know. as for the bargains at LBS's i haven't come across those yet in my area except when talking about the higher end class, all above R15K