SLX or Deore

mikethebike234

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20% is a pretty significant weight saving, it's almost 100g.

That, and SLX looks way better with the larger cogs mounted on the spider.

You last statement is true . Never looked at the colour , mine goes black for some reason .

Might be the lube /oil you using.

I kinda like the champagne-ish colour, but if deore will last longer I'll take silver gears above blingy stuff.

Also the shifting sounds a bit brighter on steel cassettes.

How much is XT in copmparison - AFAIK it has most of the cogs mounted on an ali spider and is lighter than SLX again. If you can afford it go XT , otherwise SLX(which I have in 10 spd and it works great if a tad heavy.

weight doesn't bother me much unless its ridiculous ..just put 100ml less beer in my water bottle...

I'm sitting with same issue.

I have a set of Easton Havens as well as a set of AM Classic MTB.

CWC doesn't have 36-11 in SLX so either I wait (for undisclosed time) or I opt for the Deore instead.

Not THAT much of weight penalty, but I was wondering how about durability? I know the SLX's last looooonnnnngggg.

http://bikescale.com...mar=14&sk=1&s=3

RANT ON

I don't understand when someone asks a question and obviously has a budget, why you would recommend something that is obviously not in budget...

RANT OFF

SLX is fantastic MIKE.

thanks...

If you plan on getting a new GS after every dirty ride get XTR . The more expensive the GS gets the lighter and less durable they are . So Deore will last you a very ,very long time while XTR will not . Simple .

that makes sense ..or does it buy the cheapest and it lasts the longest..have we all gone mad???

How much is XT in copmparison - AFAIK it has most of the cogs mounted on an ali spider and is lighter than SLX again. If you can afford it go XT , otherwise SLX(which I have in 10 spd and it works great if a tad heavy.

can get XT for 750 randela's but the budget does not strech that far I have to get new discs as well and after buying those wheels I am starting to think I have lost my mind....

Edited by mikethebike234

My issue I bought a slx groupset, but they didn't have cassettes in 36-11 in stock when I ordered.

They sent my whole parcel without the cassette saying they will do so when the next shipment arrives.

Now the shipment arrived & they didn't receive 36-11 cassettes.

I heard the larger gears on the SLX are the same compund as XT & the smaller gears are the same compound as the deore. There is a colour difference in SLX (smaller gears) & the deore though. :blink:

Anyone know whether that info is true?

Then Deore should last as long as slx, but if you use your big gears very often then it might even outlast the SLX in that regard.

We have plenty of SLX 11/36 in stock... R595 each

You can order here:

http://www.evobikes.co.za/components/cassette/shimano-slx-casettes-hg-81-11-36.html

seems I had all my facts and prices mixed up....all ten speed, hg50 is Alvio and was R350.00, hg61 is deore and was R499.00, hg80 is SLX and is R750.00 ...XT etc I didn't bother with as they were totally out of my budget anyway, I ended up going with the deore which seemed a happy medium to me and fitted the budget, also its ok to use steel cassettes on the Mavic crossmax SLR wheel all 4 of the LBS I went to were unanimous about that... sigh now for the brake rotors ... and a good little ride this afternoon hopefully one of my last with my trashed old wheels...

• 2 months later...

I went slx because the gap of weight and look is bigger between deore and slx than it is between slx and xt. And "apparently" slx is the staple of European and American bike markets because it lasts the longest and doesn't weigh too much. (What I overheard a rep say at my lbs)

I went slx because the gap of weight and look is bigger between deore and slx than it is between slx and xt. And "apparently" slx is the staple of European and American bike markets because it lasts the longest and doesn't weigh too much. (What I overheard a rep say at my lbs)

Yep, it's pretty much the best bang for buck in most instances.

Yes we are all mad, the cheaper you go the longer it lasts. BUT, that is not the issue, WEIGHT is the issue. It must be light who cares what it costs or even how long it lasts.

seems I had all my facts and prices mixed up....all ten speed, hg50 is Alvio and was R350.00, hg61 is deore and was R499.00, hg80 is SLX and is R750.00 ...XT etc I didn't bother with as they were totally out of my budget anyway, I ended up going with the deore which seemed a happy medium to me and fitted the budget, also its ok to use steel cassettes on the Mavic crossmax SLR wheel all 4 of the LBS I went to were unanimous about that... sigh now for the brake rotors ... and a good little ride this afternoon hopefully one of my last with my trashed old wheels...

Give this site the once over, you may be able to save a bit on some of the components you're thinking of ordering.

http://www.easybike.co.za/components/disk-brakes.html