Safe commuting routes out of Sandton - suggestions?

cat-i

Our offices moved recently to Sandton. While my commute is now shorter, it is much more dangerous. I have found a relatively safe route into town, but going home has been hair-raising on all the different routes I've tried. Once I'm on William Nicol (anywhere between Sandton drive and Republic) I'm safe.

Any suggestions on how to get from corner of Grayston/Rivonia to William Nicol? Ideally it would be on taxi- and bus-free roads with pavements, sidewalks or singletrack. I prefer crossings at traffic lights and 4-way stops rather than traffic circles or turning right out of a lane where there isn't a stop.

Any ideas?

Edited by cat-i

I don't think there is a road out of Sandton that doesn't have a taxi driving on either the road or the frigging pavement! Peeves me off!

There is a route I know that goes past Sandton Medi-Clinic and cuts through Bryanston and comes out at the bridge at the bottom of Bryanston Drive from where you could climb onto the Spruit but cycling by yourself I wouldn't recommend it.

Alternative is to probably go up Rivonia to Sandton Drive.

Thx Thug

I've tried the Sandton Medi-clinic one. I like it, but one stretch through a dip where there's no pavements and a narrow road. Apart from that, that's my best bet so far. I dont like the traffic circle but I guess I'll get used to it. My route to Parktown was mainly through the Spruit and backroads - I forgot how completely invisible cyclists are at traffic circles :(

I've tried Sandton drive, and getting there from Grayston was easy and safe. I also liked the nice quiet road right next to Sandton drive. But I didn't like the cars cutting me off at every left turn possibility - it was a lot of stops, but it's much safer than any of the others I've tried.

Anyone else commuting from Sandton to Randburg side?

heya cat-i. I'm on the corner of Grayston and Benmore: Head down benmore road (keep left, there's a pathway off the road), first right after the robot (Loundon i think). Follow, and it becomes ballyclaire. Keep right, there's single track just after crossing Colleraine. You can drop onto the spruit at the bridge and then follow through to Pick n Pay on william nicol.

Alternatively, right down to the end of Benmore, left onto Outspan and down 8th through Parkmore is quiet.

To get to Benmore, down Rivonio, left @ morningside clinic past the Keg, left at the circle and first right.

Those routes have lots of pavement and little traffic.

I hope you're not a roadie :P

Hi Cheesy ... thx :)

Outspan (down Rivonia to Benmore) is the one I took today. It's mostly a quiet route and I like it - especially the singletrack way off the road :) How do you negotiate that right-turn? Just wait for another car that wants to turn there and go over with him? And the traffic circle? Just very slow to give cars from the left chance to jump in in front of me without taking me out? Or faster to get out of it quicker?

I went down West Road South once, and came back on Outspan - might as well turn off at Ballyclare there - will go check that out on Tuesday and see where it takes me.

I used to love that part of the Spruit below the Pick n Pay - but felt uncomfortable the last time I rode there and haven't been there in a long time. Not sure about joining that part of the spruit on my own? Will take a body-guard with me one Saturday and go check it out :)

I'm on a silver Trance, and on days that I stop to get on the pavements, it's the 21 year old red Rigid Sedona - say hi next time!

Many thanx!!

Edited by cat-i

• 3 weeks later...

What's your destination suburb? I'd either go the Benmore/Parkmore/Bryanston way, or depending where you're heading, even go up Rivonia rd into Sandhurst, from there into Craighall to Jan Smuts rd area. The latter would probably add significant time to journey though.

• 1 month later...