How do you protect your frame?

flatwheel

I'm experimenting with Plastidip. Masked off under my down tube and my chainstay then sprayed a few coats of the clear one. Decent finish, but when I have some time I'll try perfect the thickness and application process. I also bought a tin of the Plastidip one would use to dip tool handles in. Cut the threaded ends off a trashed set of pedal axles to plug the holes in my cranks, then dipped them. I made the mistake of shaking the tin 1st and creating tiny bubbles, so gonna re-do them. Also painted the face of the cranks to avoid the dreaded foot rub marks on black XT cranks. Botched that slightly but I'll perfect a neater method. The stuff peels off without too much admin...

post-2885-0-38370200-1378395707_thumb.jpg

post-2885-0-56838300-1378395743_thumb.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys,

I have 2 questions regarding frame protection:

1) where can I buy some of that race face crank boots? Found them on ebay, but do i really need to import them? Saw some people here on the hub sporting them.

2) Most people say that the 3M protective film is the best for frame protection. Where can I buy this?

Thanks guys. Any help will be appreciated!

Chrz

Get a titanium frame and remove all decals :ph34r:

Thats the right way to do it, you cover all the

"I have an expensive bike ...."

and

you have a cool Ti bike that doesnt need funny sticky stuff on it....

If anyone knows who can do a proper job with out wrinkles and bubbles in Jhb please PM me. I know that 3M product is great. You get two thicknesses. Use the thick one where its likely to get chipped and the thin one just to keep it scratch free. Bikes cost a lot and for 600 or more its a win. Know one wants to ride a bike that looks like a skadonk.

I had protective tape on my old bike ,when I sold it I removed the tape and the bike look like new. Got a price and buyer got a clean bike.all happy.

Hi guys,

I have 2 questions regarding frame protection:

1) where can I buy some of that race face crank boots? Found them on ebay, but do i really need to import them? Saw some people here on the hub sporting them.

2) Most people say that the 3M protective film is the best for frame protection. Where can I buy this?

Thanks guys. Any help will be appreciated!

Chrz

Hi Krynauw,

I wanted to use the 3M product as a base for my product (BPS) but found that sourcing it was a problem. I am currently using another product very similar to the 3M clear film. There are three options available as far as coverage goes. A full bike Executive pack, a Race Snake pack and a Budget pack. I also supply a self cut strip if you want a custom patch. Prices are affordable and the product is DIY friendly. If you can apply a sticker to your car, this is a doddle!

PM me if you want more information.

If anyone knows who can do a proper job with out wrinkles and bubbles in Jhb please PM me.

I know that 3M product is great. You get two thicknesses. Use the thick one where its likely to get chipped and the thin one just to keep it scratch free.

rally car wax, makes cleaning a breaze

but then again the only thing i need to worry about is dust, we did not see rain for many months now, very dry...

• 4 months later...

Oh and here is a pearl

Go to linux yamaha on malibongwe and ask for a roll of raceface protection. It this thickish tape that you can cut into any shape or form and you get 10m of it, so enough for you and everyone else's bikes. cost 200 bucks

I bought some Race Face tape from Linex earlier today. Seems inflation has hit. It was R265 for the roll. But still not a bad price. Going to use it to protect my little plastidip project. (Frame with original paintwork. Plastidipped. Vinyl branded, plastidip clearcoat over that. Then tape, just to make sure).

I bought some Race Face tape from Linux earlier today. Seems inflation has hit. It was R265 for the roll. But still not a bad price. Going to use it to protect my little plastidip project. (Frame with original paintwork. Plastidipped. Vinyl branded, plastidip clearcoat over that. Then tape, just to make sure).

naais...should have pm'd me, I have enough for 20 bikes. But at least you have you own now...so you can go ape on all your morewood's and intense.

Get some Lamin - X. Or if you are a cheapskate like me the Chinese knockoff available at most Chinatowns that has a automotive shop for R40 per meter. Its 300mm wide so you can cut a lot of strips from a meter to do almost your whole bike.

This stuff is durable and can be manipulated around really complex curves. Use it on my car head lights and even the leading edge of the bonnet....

post-7810-0-37336300-1390300236_thumb.jpg

I bought some Race Face tape from Linux earlier today. Seems inflation has hit. It was R265 for the roll. But still not a bad price. Going to use it to protect my little plastidip project. (Frame with original paintwork. Plastidipped. Vinyl branded, plastidip clearcoat over that. Then tape, just to make sure).

I'm going to need a new roll too. Apparently fork oil that leaks onto a roll of race face, ruins the race face :(

Archived