Bike Size - how much does it matter?

Tacet

I have the same inner leg measurement, ride a size 56 with a 130mm stem

Benefits: shorter tubes means stiffer frame, less weight and shorter wheel-base, resulting in a more responsive ride aswell as tighter turns!

Longer stems result in twitchy handling btw. Not much weight saving across one size to another, also check your bike's geometry across the various sizes, in some cases they're the same.

You can adjust the fit to a certain extent with different stems, etc. But be aware that the calculator you linked to gives you a recommended seat tube length, a sizing method which is outdated. Most bike sizing now days is done with top tube length being the critical frame size measurement.

I am 1,81m with 86,5cm inseam and ride a 56cm (top tube!) road bike and a large MTB (61cm top tube).

I am 1.86m and ride a 56cm, that feels a bit large. But bike model will also make a difference. Not all 56 or 58's are the same. But think a 58 is way to big.

Rather go with what fits you, but if you have to go for something of a different size, err on the smaller size, but not ridiculously so.

I should ride a 17" mtb, but some only come in a 16" pr 18", so I rather ride a 16"

You can adjust the fit to a certain extent with different stems, etc. But be aware that the calculator you linked to gives you a recommended seat tube length, a sizing method which is outdated. Most bike sizing now days is done with top tube length being the critical frame size measurement.

I am 1,81m with 86,5cm inseam and ride a 56cm (top tube!) road bike and a large MTB (61cm top tube).

Thanks for the info. That explains why other posters felt that the size is much too large for my length - it is! So, in summary:

1. Go to LBS, get someone with more know-how to measure me.

2. Try to go for perfect size. If not possible, a little deviation can be ok, but not much, and then on the smaller side rather than going larger.

When I bought my MTB, my LBS measured me and suggested a Large, and eventually sold me a Large which I feel fits me perfectly.

Now, I want to buy a secondhand road bike. I'm 1.78 m tall, with an inner leg of about 89 cm. According to Calculatorthat means that I need a 59, but that I can consider a 57-61.

How important is it to stay within that range? I'll only use the road bike for the occasional 94, not for general training. Can I deviate, or will I end up cursing myself after 20km?

The guy that gave you that outcome measured you wrong or put the wrong stuff into his calculations... I am also 1.78 and I ride a 56... Its super comfy as I like riding low but if I buy again I would consider rather going 54.

Pisses me off soooo badly when people get told the wrong stuff. Its not a R200 mistake and it will end up costing you a lot more or give you a bad feel to a road bike.

Congrats for firstly coming here to confirm... A lot of the guys at cycling shops are just taught how to work the machine and do the calculations but they don't have the physical experience so they can't give you insight into what would be better.

Hope you get it sorted

The guy that gave you that outcome measured you wrong or put the wrong stuff into his calculations... I am also 1.78 and I ride a 56... Its super comfy as I like riding low but if I buy again I would consider rather going 54.

Pisses me off soooo badly when people get told the wrong stuff. Its not a R200 mistake and it will end up costing you a lot more or give you a bad feel to a road bike.

Congrats for firstly coming here to confirm... A lot of the guys at cycling shops are just taught how to work the machine and do the calculations but they don't have the physical experience so they can't give you insight into what would be better.

Hope you get it sorted

OK, I'm no expert onthis ...but the fact that you measure 1.78 does not apply across the baord to all 1.78 people?? I mean, some might have longer legs (inseam); shorte torso & arms than you??? That will also influelnce how they fit on YOUR 56 bike...

It's only a guideline by the best of it...one still need to go for a proper fit, I think.

I agree, size of bike is dependent on your inseam. I have shorter legs in relation to my height, so ride a slightly smaller frame, but I feel I need a longer top tube or stem because my reach is therefore longer.