Mamba rears its head - Tokai

DJR

I noticed that the jumps require a fair bit of pedal power, as not all of them are on steep downhill sections. Not that I considered taking the jumps. One day when my skills are have improved and I have my big biy pants on I'll give those a try.

Generally it does seem a bit more "pedally" than before, if that makes sense.

Before I get flamed, this is not a negative, just different to the previous incarnation of Mamba.

Will definitely give you a work out if you're trying to go full tilt. Will be interesting to see how it will join to Boomslang.

Anyone got an idea as to when Boomslang will happen? What is the plan with Boomlang?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will definitely give you a work out if you're trying to go full tilt. Will be interesting to see how it will join to Boomslang.

Anyone got an idea as to when Boomslang will happen? What is the plan with Boomlang?

Not entirely sure, dude. Deon is away at the moment, but will corner him when he's back and find out.

Hi all,

Boomslang will be the next project that will provide a bit of a breather from Mamba, and yes, Mamba does require some pedalling but in comparison to how the old Mamba rode there is not much difference, in fact I would even suggest that there is less, or soon-to-be less than before.

If you recall, the old trail used gravity for the first half and then towards the middle/bottom needed pedal input. The pedal section has now changed to the top of the trail after the first switch (the truth is we built the first switch around a very big Puff adder who was not taking any crab from any of us!) and then after the second corner, gravity is the main driver.. One or two corners are still a bit sharp but this is mainly just to get the track opened and ridden. The final flow will still follow.

The way I saw it working before the trees were cut was to link all the trails and let each section offer a different experience. Hope you guys are in agreement but with Cobra being pretty much set in terms of design, this could be the rocky tech trail linking into Mamba, which is intended to be the switching flow trail. Sure, it is not complete and a few adjustments are still needed but with the rider input we can really perfect the trail to suit the majority.

Boomslang as I said will allow you to catch your breath, it is hoped to be the fast contour surfing trail. Intended to be one long traverse across the slope, it will dive down and climb several times using only momentum with one or two tables built in for budding pilots and pump jockeys alike! I intend to hire a machine to clear the entry and construct the few features needed.

The rest of the trails will also be reworked, especially Rinkhals which was requested to be the last trail for attention. Understandably, TMNP cannot just approve the new design as the Fynbos areas needs an approval from SANBI who control the rehabed areas after the pines are removed. Fortunately TMNP can see the need for Rinkhals needing realignment (for sustainability) and will assist in motivating for a new design. All quite exciting!

There is more news too but that is more on the TokaiMTB side which is now being constituted and finally being formed into an official entity. (Maymem, we'll need to meet and discuss soon:)

Look out for a website and few documents that will literally transform the way Tokai is run.. The help that is being offered by some really influential people is being realised and they all want the same thing - a world class trail that can cope with massive numbers!

Momentum is building! (Pun unintended!)

Hi all,

Boomslang will be the next project that will provide a bit of a breather from Mamba, and yes, Mamba does require some pedalling but in comparison to how the old Mamba rode there is not much difference, in fact I would even suggest that there is less, or soon-to-be less than before.

If you recall, the old trail used gravity for the first half and then towards the middle/bottom needed pedal input. The pedal section has now changed to the top of the trail after the first switch (the truth is we built the first switch around a very big Puff adder who was not taking any crab from any of us!) and then after the second corner, gravity is the main driver.. One or two corners are still a bit sharp but this is mainly just to get the track opened and ridden. The final flow will still follow.

The way I saw it working before the trees were cut was to link all the trails and let each section offer a different experience. Hope you guys are in agreement but with Cobra being pretty much set in terms of design, this could be the rocky tech trail linking into Mamba, which is intended to be the switching flow trail. Sure, it is not complete and a few adjustments are still needed but with the rider input we can really perfect the trail to suit the majority.

Boomslang as I said will allow you to catch your breath, it is hoped to be the fast contour surfing trail. Intended to be one long traverse across the slope, it will dive down and climb several times using only momentum with one or two tables built in for budding pilots and pump jockeys alike! I intend to hire a machine to clear the entry and construct the few features needed.

The rest of the trails will also be reworked, especially Rinkhals which was requested to be the last trail for attention. Understandably, TMNP cannot just approve the new design as the Fynbos areas needs an approval from SANBI who control the rehabed areas after the pines are removed. Fortunately TMNP can see the need for Rinkhals needing realignment (for sustainability) and will assist in motivating for a new design. All quite exciting!

There is more news too but that is more on the TokaiMTB side which is now being constituted and finally being formed into an official entity. (Maymem, we'll need to meet and discuss soon:)

Look out for a website and few documents that will literally transform the way Tokai is run.. The help that is being offered by some really influential people is being realised and they all want the same thing - a world class trail that can cope with massive numbers!

Momentum is building! (Pun unintended!)

Great Stuff PoS, rode 2 loops of Mamba yesterday.

Looking forward to the developments, the linking of Cobra, Mamba, Boomslang, Snake Eyes & Rickhals is an awesome prospect.

Looking to help out when I can (regrettably won't be able to make the build day AGAIN this month)

Just WRT the bold section above how much work is SANBI doing?

Most of the area below the road leading to bottom of Boomslang and top of Snake eyes is just Port Jackson and Black Wattle as far as the eye can see (It's been like this for months).

Who is responsible for removing the alien vegetation so that the Fynbos can establish itself properly?

*Just pointing this out and not having a go at anyone*

Ha ha, don't worry, I have taken my first real break for the year (removed from most social medai, email etc), so no "go" taken ; )

Bit of a long reply but not something that can be answered in a few lines..

TMNP are battling funding issues. They need to secure a few years' budget before tackling the alien growth. I have been chatting to the head of the alien detection unit at SANBI regarding Tokai's plans to remove the sudden awakening of all those dormant wattle. He has agreed that TMNP's plan to burn next year is the best bet followed by a few seasons worth of extraction. The fire will promote the Fynbos growth while killing the early sprouting of alien. Most of the alien seeds will take hold in the first year and the fynbos will grow back really thick, these two factors will make future alien infestation difficult. Fire is also part of the reason why no laterite and heavy wooden bridges are on the trail now..

TMNP actually *sort of* needs our help. I have been reading about the marine poaching issue and can vouch for the funding plight! The poaching is at it's worst levels ever and growing despite the measures taken between CoCT, SAPS, SARS and others.. The income from mountain biking will *in a way* be tackling these kinds of problems along with carrying some of the parks with very little foot traffic.

I spent some time in a private reserve and Kruger over the last 2 weeks, South Africa ito wildlife and recreation has so much going for it. It really made me look at the efforts of the various different reserve managers who often take a beating in what seems to be a generally misunderstood issue. Turns out the people running the reserves really do know what they are doing but at the price of a massively slow moving entity. Before I left on my trip, I got two emails from the Tokai manager thanking me for sticking out the long-winded signage approval process, and the second thanking the mtb community for their contribution to seeing this become a well-run sustainable activity! This is quite something by my standards, especially if you knew the previous management.

SO TMNP are aware of the problem(s) that seems will be tended to in the near future. SANBI are happy with us and them, so in all I'd say we are on the right track. It will still be a very hot summer though!

Guest Omega Man

The dwindling numbers in the parking lot tell a somewhat different story...... 2 years ago you wouldn't be able to find a parking for love or money in the top parking lot. On Saturday morning there were 30-40 cars there. MAX.

I've ridden the "new and improved Mamba" and it has about as much flow as a stagnant pond.

The dwindling numbers in the parking lot tell a somewhat different story...... 2 years ago you wouldn't be able to find a parking for love or money in the top parking lot. On Saturday morning there were 30-40 cars there. MAX.

I've ridden the "new and improved Mamba" and it has about as much flow as a stagnant pond.

Duane, as I told you on Saturday. It is school holidays and the majority of riders were most probably away with family (like myself, Deon and many others)

As for the flow. The trail is not yet complete. Give it time. And it will be appreciated if you do not try to derail the process at every turn.

Duane, as I told you on Saturday. It is school holidays and the majority of riders were most probably away with family (like myself, Deon and many others)

As for the flow. The trail is not yet complete. Give it time. And it will be appreciated if you do not try to derail the process at every turn.

That and it was Lourensford this weekend

Guest Omega Man

I'm not trying to derail anything. I'm simply stating the facts. The numbers have been dwindling for quite some time now.

And the trail has no flow. Am I not allowed to voice my opinion on a public forum?

I have seen the numbers backing off too. I owe a large percentage of this to a large percentage of trails lost.

What is more or less the timeline then for completion of the entire trail? Sounds like a boatload of work and red tape still waiting.

I'm only asking because:

- I'd love to come and help on some build days when available (are they every weekend?); and

- I'm itching to ride what sounds like it's going to be insane fun!

Thanks for all the hard work and constant updates.

That being said, Omega Man does speak some truths

Yeah. There is less trail, due to logging and all that has done (wiping out the snakeys, basically) but there are plans in place to revitalize and reroute old trails, which will remedy the problem. Unfortunately, given that we are working with sanparks, these things take time.

As for the trail itself, there have been mixed reports. Some love it, some don't. Yet it is still a work in progress.

I have seen the numbers backing off too. I owe a large percentage of this to a large percentage of trails lost.

Yep. People go where the trails are. That a lot of peoples favourite trails were lost is probably the main reason for the drop in numbers.

But the trails are coming, albeit slowly.

What is more or less the timeline then for completion of the entire trail? Sounds like a boatload of work and red tape still waiting.

I'm only asking because:

- I'd love to come and help on some build days when available (are they every weekend?); and

- I'm itching to ride what sounds like it's going to be insane fun!

Thanks for all the hard work and constant updates.

I am working on getting Boomslang's presentation finished now, this needs to be circulated around a few departments but ultimately the decision lies with the Section ranger for Tokai, similar to the construction of Mamba (I am still actually waiting for the email that says "yes" even though I have verbal approval. I got a slap on the knuckles for that a short while ago... :D )

We should do a few build days in October. The ground is settling on Mamba now so planning the features will be easier knowing where the trail has good speed. Nico and others, will let you know on twitter and facebook, warthogs and hub and .. and..

The trails need to be rideable before May as a final deadline - for some event that will be using the snake trails.. sounds like a goodie!