Pain in front of knee slightly below knee cap

The normal side effect most people experience is gastro intestinal pain and upset.

The BIG concern for endurance athletes is impairment to kidney function - with possible complete kidney failure too - the exact incidence of this is not completely clear, but I can personally introduce you to 2 cyclists that have had MAJOR issues... both are extremely luck to not be on long term dialysis and looking for transplant donors...

I have posted about this before on the hub - including journal articles - not sure how much survived the great crash though.

Bloody hell, sounds hectic!

So are you suggesting that no one should be taking NSAID drugs or is this more isolated to taking them while performing endurance sports?

Bloody hell, sounds hectic!

So are you suggesting that no one should be taking NSAID drugs or is this more isolated to taking them while performing endurance sports?

They have a place in clinical treatment - they have NO place in an endurance athletes medical kit/recovery kit/bathroom cupboard, and THEY CERTAINLY DO NOT BELONG on a list of things to take during an endurance event - despite the fact I have seen them on many 'kit lists'

One of the biggest issues with this type of medication is the general availability of NSAIDS and the commonly held believe that they are not dangerous - and people self-medicate without knowing even the side effects......

Actualy got "proper fit" from the sweatshop in dunkeld. And got the shoes they recommended.

But my cycling is my thing so decided to stop this running business

Running is for people without bikes...

They have a place in clinical treatment - they have NO place in an endurance athletes medical kit/recovery kit/bathroom cupboard, and THEY CERTAINLY DO NOT BELONG on a list of things to take during an endurance event - despite the fact I have seen them on many 'kit lists'

One of the biggest issues with this type of medication is the general availability of NSAIDS and the commonly held believe that they are not dangerous - and people self-medicate without knowing even the side effects......

Hi V12 - thanx for the info...sounds really hectic...please explain what NSAIDS drugs means? Or is it only anti-inflammatories as you mentioned? What do we have to look out for...or should we just mention this when going to the doctor that we don't want NSAIDS drugs?

Thanx for you kind reply...

Hi V12 - thanx for the info...sounds really hectic...please explain what NSAIDS drugs means? Or is it only anti-inflammatories as you mentioned? What do we have to look out for...or should we just mention this when going to the doctor that we don't want NSAIDS drugs?

Thanx for you kind reply...

Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs - it's a classification of drugs used for reducing inflammation and pain relief - a LOT of drugs fit within the general category.

As I said - there is a place for them, especially when prescribed - BUT - not when you are participating in an endurance event or have significant training/heat stress loads.

The bottom line is that if you can't take the pain of an event without drugs - STOP the event - then take the drugs as prescribed while you recover - then start training again once you are off the meds.

Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs - it's a classification of drugs used for reducing inflammation and pain relief - a LOT of drugs fit within the general category.

As I said - there is a place for them, especially when prescribed - BUT - not when you are participating in an endurance event or have significant training/heat stress loads.

The bottom line is that if you can't take the pain of an event without drugs - STOP the event - then take the drugs as prescribed while you recover - then start training again once you are off the meds.

Thanx a million :thumbup: much appreciated...I have printed it out and will keep it handy if needed. :eek: also had a look at that knee review on "BikeRadar" :unsure: looks like we have to take better care of our knees and legs (I think a big % of us don't really take care until it's too late :huh:)...after-all...that is the "engine" of our cycling!!! Will be more careful in the future and do more core and other exercises!!!

:thumbup: thank you once again!!!

Thanks for the insight bud.

As topic says the last 2 weeks i have a very weak Pain in front of knee slightly below knee cap.

I have not changed bike set up of anything along those lines?

I did do a 7 km run around 3 weeks ago that definitely over exerted me and think that might have been the issue as im not a runner..

Any ideas?

go speak to Mike at SBR Sports in Sunninghill, he will sort you out

• 3 weeks later...

Running is not bad for you but you cant go run 7km's and think it gonna be all fine

if you are not a regular runner, rather do say 2 x3km slow runs a week and then you move to 3 x 3km runs the 2 week after that

Dont go fast even if you think you can

Start of at a 6min per kilo pace then 3 weeks later do a say 5km at this pace and maybe later in the week a 3km run,, move the kilos up slowly

The golden rule says dont increase more than 10 percent per week.

Running will help you a lot with your cycling but take it slow when you start