2013 Road World Champs

igknot

15:47:18 CEST

The latest GPS check says that Cancellara has cut back his gap on Martin to ten seconds. Wiggins, meanwhile, has put some distance between himself and Kiryienka, but is still 33 seconds down on Martin.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15:50:12 CEST

There aren't many technical sections on this time trial course, but it be interesting to see if Cancellara takes any risks once he enters the streets of Florence, or if he is racing with Sunday in the back of his mind.

15:51:35 CEST

At the finish line, Gustav Larsson (Sweden) takes the provisional best time, one second ahead of Siutsou and 10 up on Rohan Dennis.

15:54:19 CEST

Martin has stretched out his lead over Cancellara to 22 seconds, according to the GPS. Wiggins, meanwhile, is holding steady at 35 seconds down on Martin.

15:55:11 CEST

Vasili Kiryienka (Belarus) has the best time at the 42.3km mark, and is in the streets of Florence on the approach to the finish.

15:56:24 CEST

Cancellara is fading, while Wiggins is winding up the pace. Wiggins is just ten seconds off Cancellara now at around the 35km mark, but he is unable to make any real inroads into the flying Tony Martin.

Cancellara, Wiggins and Martin all look smooth and comfortable in their tuck positions, but there are no points for style here - the clock is the only arbiter that counts.

Smooth and comfortable means faster!!

15:57:26 CEST

It's not been Taylor Phinney's day. The American hits the 42km point 18 seconds down on Kiryienka and will not be among the medals today.

Fabian 0:12 seconds up on the wig at second check. Martin to dethrone him by about 0:30s

this is a race for second now

15:59:28 CEST

Cancellara is 12 seconds up on Wiggins at the 42km mark, and has averaged a scorching 53kph thus far.

A very smooth Wiggins hurtles through the same point with the new best time, 20 seconds up on Kiryienka and 39 ahead of Phinney. The Briton looks on course for a medal, but the rainbow jersey looks destined to return to Tony Martin's shoulders this afternoon.

16:00:48 CEST

The world title is Martin's to lose at this point. With 15km to go, he is already 28 seconds up on Cancellara, 40 up on Wiggins, and riding at an average speed of 53.5kph.