Berg and Bush 2013

Ratty

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big discussion about the accuracy of the temperature and in the end of the day everyone will agree, it was moer hot.

Make it even more interesting.....make use of the Borg RPE scale to quantify your race experience. In sports and particularly exercise testing, the Borg RPE Scale measures perceived exertion (subjective measurement).This scale (with a rating from 6 to a maximum of 20) is used to assess the intensity of training and competition (athlete's experience). So even it it was 5° or 40°C, it gives you an indication of the athletes perception and experience.

By the sound of it 18-20? (out of 20)

(Some literature even suggest if you multiply the RPE value with 10, you will be close to your activity heart rate.)

Edit: RPE = Rating of Perceived Exertion

post-41755-0-69620700-1381909342_thumb.png

Edited by BarHugger

Make it even more interesting.....make use of the Borg RPE scale to quantify your race experience. In sports and particularly exercise testing, the Borg RPE Scale measures perceived exertion (subjective measurement).This scale (with a rating from 6 to a maximum of 20) is used to assess the intensity of training and competition (athlete's experience). So even it it was 5° or 40°C, it gives you an indication of the athletes perception and experience.

By the sound of it 18-20? (out of 20)

(Some literature even suggest if you multiply the RPE value with 10, you will be close to your activity heart rate.)

Edit: RPE = Rating of Perceived Exertion

Why does it start at 6 and not 1?

Why does it start at 6 and not 1?

The seemingly odd range of 6-20 is to follow the general heart rate of a healthy adult by multiplying by 10. For instance, a perceived exertion of 16 would be expected to coincide with a heart rate of roughly 160 beats per minute. The optimum training target zone for a healthy adult is 12-16 on the scale, which allows you to receive the most cardio respiratory benefit from the exercise. This intensity approximates an exertion of 60 – 80% of the Target Heart Rate. It is further estimated that an RPE of 6-11 is equivalent to 30-55% of the maximum heart rate reserve. Exercising for long duration in the 17-20 RPE zone is not recommended.

There is however also an adapted RPE scale (Borg CR-10) that start at 0, with a maximum of 10.

Was it really hotter than experienced at Sabie, Barberton, Attakwas, Mankele, van Gaalen etc before or just a case of riders not properly prepared and knowing what to expect?

Was it really hotter than experienced at Sabie, Barberton, Attakwas, Mankele, van Gaalen etc before or just a case of riders not properly prepared and knowing what to expect?

I've done the past 4 Van Gaalens races, and it was hotter than any of those races. This was the hottest I've ever been.

Was hotter than Barberton and Sabie - can't talk about the others.

Discussing temperature measurements is interesting. Imo the garmins etc. measure higher than ambient because all of them are sealed boxes exposed to direct sun and the electronics inside generate heat.

Warmest I ever measured was 52C, Vissershok stage of Giro del Capo 2009. No way the ambient temp was that high, though, lots of us would have died if it was that hot.

Does it matter...like dangle pointed out, everyone was exposed to the same conditions. So if it was -10 or 42...doesn't really matter.

Does it matter...like dangle pointed out, everyone was exposed to the same conditions. So if it was -10 or 42...doesn't really matter.

Suppose not, just sour cause I missed it and I hear they went down puffadder pass instead of up it

Suppose not, just sour cause I missed it and I hear they went down puffadder pass instead of up it

You, me and skillz went up it mos at j2c. Gooied my toys out of the cot that day with Skillz's..."we are almost at the top, just around the bend"

You, me and skillz went up it mos at j2c. Gooied my toys out of the cot that day with Skillz's..."we are almost at the top, just around the bend"

Oh yes I remember it clearly - are we there yet? Yes just around corner....ya right!

I would like to see someone do J2C on 4 times a week of riding and finish everyday within the allotted time .

Averaging 4 days a week is how we trained for Epic this year and how we'll train for J2C next year. And we did a lot better than finish within the allotted time each day on Epic. For me training is a far more about quality and intensity (and of course rest) than quantity.

So back on topic absolutely no reason why anyone can't comfortably complete 3 day stage races on 2 - 3 days of training per week. Go in there with realistic expectations, pace yourself accordingly and ride within your technical ability.

Edited by sometime