Berg and Bush 2013

Ratty

I trust you respected the rules and had that camera mounted on your bike and not your body, or CSA / UCI could impose a lifetime ban on you. :ph34r:

And he's a current world champ! :eek: :ph34r:

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I trust you respected the rules and had that camera mounted on your bike and not your body, or CSA / UCI could impose a lifetime ban on you. :ph34r:

HHAHAHAHAHA - that rule only applies to CSA sanctioned events such as Nationals and Regionals .. So i think Im good! hahahah

And then my last video .. .a bit of Trail Etiquette Fail ...

As I have said before, the event Caters for ALL types of riders and if you are riding at the back in "F"un or "G"o batch ... you are not allowed to get upset with riders being slow in sections of trail that are potentially above their ability ....

But IMBA rules state: # 5. Racers riding a bicycle have the right of way over racers pushing bicycles. Persons pushing their bikes MUST stay out of the way of riders. Racers pushing should stay on the least rideable portion of the path when being passed. If getting off to walk an obstacle- rider MUST get off of the trail BEFORE dismounting if upcoming riders are not dismounting.

Wish some of our local Outrides organisers here in KZN would teach this to their members.

It was so blatant the way the rider did not walk on the side of the trail with their bike even though they knew there was a line of at least 10 riders behind.

Sorry but IMO that's just bad trail manners.

I know that I am NOT fast on the hills, so I will gladly make room for anyone who is faster than me in a certain section to pass. This should go for others too ... but oh well.

I will just say that this was the only incident we encountered on the whole weekend - so that's not too bad if you think about it.

And then my last video .. .a bit of Trail Etiquette Fail ...

As I have said before, the event Caters for ALL types of riders and if you are riding at the back in "F"un or "G"o batch ... you are not allowed to get upset with riders being slow in sections of trail that are potentially above their ability ....

But IMBA rules state: # 5. Racers riding a bicycle have the right of way over racers pushing bicycles. Persons pushing their bikes MUST stay out of the way of riders. Racers pushing should stay on the least rideable portion of the path when being passed. If getting off to walk an obstacle- rider MUST get off of the trail BEFORE dismounting if upcoming riders are not dismounting.

Wish some of our local Outrides organisers here in KZN would teach this to their members.

It was so blatant the way the rider did not walk on the side of the trail with their bike even though they knew there was a line of at least 10 riders behind.

Sorry but IMO that's just bad trail manners.

I know that I am NOT fast on the hills, so I will gladly make room for anyone who is faster than me in a certain section to pass. This should go for others too ... but oh well.

I will just say that this was the only incident we encountered on the whole weekend - so that's not too bad if you think about it.

Why [in the heck] was she walking?

Why [in the heck] was she walking?

That is probably the most technical section on all the 2 days stages .. So its fair enough that some riders will walk it as its steepish and had a lot of rocks on the side of the trail. If you are intimidated by rocks or a newish rider, or someone who hates singletrack, then I would not be surprised at them walking this section.

My issue is not that shes walking, but 2 things ...

1. She gets off her bike in the MIDDLE of the road .... blocking the poor oke behind her.

2. Walks the entire section in the MIDDLE of the trail .. blocking all riders who then need to make a plan to pass her.

Fair enough I will say when I asked to come past she stopped so I was able to sneak past on the right ... but still if she had walked over the rocks on the left with her bike rolling on the edge of the trail, all the riders behind would have been able to squeeze past very easily.

Also I was given a good death stare as i passed.

And then she promply blocked the rest of our crew when she remounted in the middle of the trail again, and then tried to not let anyone else past ...

Sorry but thats not good trail manners IMO.

Whahaha..

Listen we got held up by a lady riding a bike perfect for descending.. she wouldn't budge hey.. we had to just take a gap and go past.. else we would probably still be sitting behind her on the descent.

My hubby reckons, her husband probably got her the bike to help her go downhill :whistling:

Ag but shame hey, suppose if you don't want traffic you should do more during the yr to get a better batch as to not get stuck behind people :eek:

Added they should just move out the way, especially seeing that it was safe to do so

if you can't move I understand, but hell there was plenty space to move out the way.

Edited by Gen

Serves you right for overtaking while the yellow flag is out! :devil:

That is probably the most technical section on all the 2 days stages .. So its fair enough that some riders will walk it as its steepish and had a lot of rocks on the side of the trail. If you are intimidated by rocks or a newish rider, or someone who hates singletrack, then I would not be surprised at them walking this section.

1. She gets off her bike in the MIDDLE of the road .... blocking the poor oke behind her.

2. Walks the entire section in the MIDDLE of the trail .. blocking all riders who then need to make a plan to pass her.

Fair enough I will say when I asked to come past she stopped so I was able to sneak past on the right ... but still if she had walked over the rocks on the left with her bike rolling on the edge of the trail, all the riders behind would have been able to squeeze past very easily.

And then she promply blocked the rest of our crew when she remounted in the middle of the trail again, and then tried to not let anyone else past ...

I had a guy who had stopped along Puff Adder to take a break. I saw him getting back on his bike so I sped up to try get passed. The ???? decides to pull out in front of me causing me to have to hit the breaks and then won't let me passed the rest of the day down (I rode right on his back wheel as I was pissed). At least his team mate had the decency to wait for us to pass.

Whahaha..

Listen we got held up by a lady riding a bike perfect for descending.. she wouldn't budge hey.. we had to just take a gap and go past.. else we would probably still be sitting behind her on the descent.

My hubby reckons, her husband probably got her the bike to help her go downhill :whistling:

Ag but shame hey, suppose if you don't want traffic you should do more during the yr to get a better batch as to not get stuck behind people :eek:

Added they should just move out the way, especially seeing that it was safe to do so

if you can't move I understand, but hell there was plenty space to move out the way.

Exactly .. if it is unsafe to move over ... fair enough ... but to stop in the middle of a trail to dismount ... not cool ...

Yeah there is always the comment that "oh if you dont want to get stuck then you should train more and be in a better batch" ... but there is the other side of the coin, where I was riding with a group of friends, and therefore you always wait for the slowest person. This invariably gives you a bad time when one of them is slow ... we have done this for the past 4 years ... so we always start in a bad batch ... and thats fine ... No gripes there ...

Every year I have actually had MORE fun at the back as the vibe is way more social ... and then when you get to know riders etc you get more leeway and are let past easier etc when need be...

So this isnt an issue that I personally didnt have a clear run though the section .. its just a matter of What to do on a trail in order to be courteous to your fellow riders.

Edited by nigelhicks

Spot on Nigel and also good attitude....sure there are only two rules, when you are off the bike, be off the trail and ascending riders have right of way over descending riders...rule 2 won't come into play in stage races since everyone is going the same direction. They should really mention this at race briefing

When the person is on the bike is riding however, the rules change...then its up to the rider behind to overtake, not up to the person in front to move over...if the person is so slow, why the hell are they infront of you???

The ???? decides to pull out in front of me causing me to have to hit the breaks and then won't let me passed the rest of the day down (I rode right on his back wheel as I was pissed).

AAARGH!!

http://andsoithascometothis.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/facepalm-over-animal-ags-stupidity.jpg

I had a guy who had stopped along Puff Adder to take a break. I saw him getting back on his bike so I sped up to try get passed. The ???? decides to pull out in front of me causing me to have to hit the breaks and then won't let me passed the rest of the day down (I rode right on his back wheel as I was pissed). At least his team mate had the decency to wait for us to pass.

NO!!! that's just all bad.

Puff Adder pass was to me the nicest part of the 2 days, lucky I got past that chick on the bike that she shouldn't be riding at the very top of the descent.. and I had no other traffic in front of me so I could fly down there.

make no mistake, I absolutely suck going uphill and I was constantly getting out of the way for other riders going uphill, but I make up good time going downhill.. I just see it as the reward for suffering uphill.

Spot on Nigel and also good attitude....

When the person is on the bike is riding however, the rules change...then its up to the rider behind to overtake, not up to the person in front to move over...if the person is so slow, why the hell are they infront of you???

Yeah dude ... you cant get bummed with people at races ... as we are all there for the same thing ... to have FUN riding our bikes! ....... I have told so many people time and time again that no matter where you actually are in the pack you must just be nice and friendly to people and ask nicely if they will let you past etc and do the same in return if asked .... Everyone would really enjoy their ride more ...

Getting pissed off only ruins the ride for you .. no one else cus okes dont care ...

But sometime I think the guys in Midpack and Back Pack take things FAR too seriously .. (2 of the riders in my group fall into this bracket and have been "disciplined" on a couple of occasions for chirping on the trail) ...

Everyone started somewhere and this needs to be taken into account. But if you have to stop for a drink of water and then someone passes you ... is it SUCH a huge issue as all you need to do is ask nicely when (this should read IF) you catch them if you can pass when they get a chance and you will be on your way again ...

But NO ... everyone is a racing snake and is going to podium so cant let anyone else past them ... be it uphill or downhill! hahahaha - oh well what can u do??? .... just do a wheelie and a skid i suppose! :thumbup:

Edited by nigelhicks