Narrow Wide Chainring Question

missionS

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You just posted that pic cos you want everyone to know you have saint cranks on a F around bike!

No...

I posted it cos I want you to remember that I have 1x elusive Ndiza :lol:

I dont know why they sent you the dark blue one, you do get the light blue one too.

Yeah, their site shows 2 different examples of blue (dark for the 30T, and light for the other), but they only list 1 type of "blue" in their colour options.

And based on a goodle image search, it seems it varies somewhat. So maybe it varies according to batch... kinda like Hope blue products. Not all of them are the same.

This seems to be the lighter blue shown in their "colour options"

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/87f/751/c52/104002/product_page/race-face-single-narrow-wide-chainring.jpg

And here's one more like the blue I received...

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb9843782/p4pb9843782.jpg

Yup... that is a problem. I know of some LBSers that have never seen a chain guide in real life.

Here's roughly what it should look like...

post-10758-1380192390,2194.jpg

See, no gaps on the top guide for the chain to jump out of.

That black stuff on the inside of the top guide wear-plate is self adhesive velcro (the soft half). This makes the guide a little bit more quiet, and less like a pepper grinder

Thanks! Will see if I can fiddle around with the guide a bit.

Guest Omega Man

Thanks! Will see if I can fiddle around with the guide a bit.

There should be an adjuster with little markings telling you where to position the top guide based on the size of your ring. If that fails tap it into position with a largish hammer. A 4 pounder should do it.

Really keen to pull the trigger but I know on my first ride in longmore my legs will absolutely hate me!!!! Its noe thing training in one front ring but it's comforting knowing it's there.

Decision time though..........

no man, you will be fine there.

Just spoke about Longmore over the weekend - man I miss that place and stopping at the waterfall for a dip.

Just placed my order :clap: Can't wait to try it. I will be running 1x8 first with some old spares. If I like it I will get 1x9 with a clutch derailleur...

Just placed my order :clap: Can't wait to try it. I will be running 1x8 first with some old spares. If I like it I will get 1x9 with a clutch derailleur...

ummm... clutch RD's are 10sp. You can run them 9sp if you do a SRAMano trick. But generally they're 10sp

There should be an adjuster with little markings telling you where to position the top guide based on the size of your ring. If that fails tap it into position with a largish hammer. A 4 pounder should do it.

Alright I hope I don't break anything. If I eff it up can I bring my bike to you? :D :D

ummm... clutch RD's are 10sp. You can run them 9sp if you do a SRAMano trick. But generally they're 10sp

You are right...I had a whole long discussion going on in my head and typed 1x9 in stead of 1x10 :eek:

You are right...I had a whole long discussion going on in my head and typed 1x9 in stead of 1x10 :eek:

hahaha! thought so... just had to make sure... some people are still running 8sp.

Alright I hope I don't break anything. If I eff it up can I bring my bike to you? :D :D

It's rather hard to mess it up.

• Loosen bolt on top guide
  • Slide down so that it covers the chain, but doesn't foul chainring bolts etc.
  • Tighten bolt

Easy as that!

Guest Omega Man

It's rather hard to mess it up.

• Loosen bolt on top guide
  • Slide down so that it covers the chain, but doesn't foul chainring bolts etc.
  • Tighten bolt

Easy as that!

I prefer my 4 pound hammer approach. I cover the plastic with a towel so it shouldn't crack.

On that I put the new suspension linkage on the Reign yesterday. Easy enough but I would have preferred it to not have broken in the first damn place.

Edited by Omega Man

HEY! No what product costs R515 ront?

I'm guessing that since the thread is about Race Face narrow-wide chain rings, the the R515 is about Race Face narrow-wide chainrings...

But maybe not. I see they are R519 (five hundred & nineteen ronds) on BuyCycle (http://www.buycycle.co.za/brands/raceface-en-2-3-4-5-6/raceface-single-narrow-wide-chainring.html)

But only stock 32t & 34t :thumbdown: It's like they don't care about us guys who can actually pedal (or live where it is really flat)