Cycle Tech - Shocking Service!!

Onewaz

Like not everyone is this super handyman. Some people are born with 2 x left hands and no mechanical aptitude. Believe me I have seen it on the trail.

Me I have all the tools but not enough time. Have done it all except fork servicing. Its all pretty simple but you may need patience and time. I don't have a lot of the latter.

Get a good relationship going with your LBS. I almost did an interview with the current guy whose owns and runs the LBS I use and briefed him how I wanted my bikes serviced. Something along the lines of if you see an issue fix it, even if its expensive, as I want the thing to hum like a Zephyrs diff. I hate stuff wrong and I cant stand things going wrong when I just had the bike repaired.

And the other thing I have done is stuck with him through thick and thin. There have been moments where the service was cr@p but I pointed it out and have had it rectified. Normally when they had some junior hired help working the shop.

Seems to work for me.

I do agree that people should learn to do their own repairs. But sometimes you might not be able to do the repair, or have the time or even be bothered to do it. And if you send it to a shop for that repair/service then they should do it. Afterall, you are paying for it. Why should someone be punished for not knowing how to do something, and have to accept the shops abuse of your bike? That defies logic to me. And is totally unacceptable. With all the online stores you would think shops would up their game and make sure they give the best service.

Where is Cycle Tech?

I have dealt with Marco for many years and cant say the same.

I have only had good service from him and his team.

Things happen I guess.

Hope they can make people happy as I have always been with them...

I have dealt with Marco for many years and cant say the same.

I have only had good service from him and his team.

Things happen I guess.

Hope they can make people happy as I have always been with them...

I must agree. I have always had the best service from Cycle Tech. I have bought many bikes from them and will probably buy many more. I refered a lot of friends there and they are all very happy with the service.

Minor stiff like gear setting, fitting new chain,cluster etc i do myself.

Got the books and DVD's on self repair, I have stripped a road and MTB bare to see how it all works, and besides not fun i don't have the time or patience to do it regular and have plenty of other things i can do. LBS cost is easy to cover as i do my own garden and home maintenance where others will happily pay some one to do it.

No bike shop will have 100% customer satisfaction 100% of time and errors can occur, its how often and how they deal with it that makes the difference for me.

Edited by scotty

So you do your own wheel building, BB facing and headset installation then? Seriously, brake bleeding must rank as one of the easiest tasks there is, on Shimano that is. I was scared of forks until I took mine apart and discovered how simple a full lube and seal service actually is.

Best of all, if you do it yourself the workmanship is guaranteed for life.

I would not consider wheel building, BB facing or headset installation as 'normal' maintenance :whistling:

I made a DIY tool to install headset cups and use that but these days in almost all cases headset installation means slipping in a bearing :ph34r:

United Building Society...... did they not also become part of Barclays?????? ...... never knew they had a bike mechanic division as well??????

Ag Oom H 'UBS' is maar 'n 'in joke' tussen my en die local bike shops :devil: