Cheapest Domestic Flights? Help Please.

Caerus

Does anyone have tricks, tips or advice on getting the cheapest Domestic Flights that they would like to share?

I'm going to be flying on a fairly regular basis to Joburg for the next few months. I know if I get a FNB Credit Card I can use E-bucks( I still would need to apply for this), I am already on Vitality, but get only a 10% discount( for now, did my who the health assessment, nutrition etc on Sat only) I know that with the Discovery card being launched in Jan that I get get up 45% off.

So I'm hoping some knows something I don't, like the best time to book online? As flights get sold in batches daily and the prices constantly change.

Can a friend book and pay for a flight for me if she is on Vitality but has diamond status.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have tricks, tips or advice on getting the cheapest Domestic Flights that they would like to share?

I'm going to be flying on a fairly regular basis to Joburg for the next few months. I know if I get a FNB Credit Card I can use E-bucks( I still would need to apply for this), I am already on Vitality, but get only a 10% discount( for now, did my who the health assessment, nutrition etc on Sat only) I know that with the Discovery card being launched in Jan that I get get up 45% off.

So I'm hoping some knows something I don't, like the best time to book online? As flights get sold in batches daily and the prices constantly change.

Can a friend book and pay for a flight for me if she is on Vitality but has diamond status - Nope.

Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Look at certain days of the week and times of the day. Late morning flights are cheaper than ex the 06.00 flights. The longer you book in advance the cheaper the flights are.

Typically the airlines would book a flight up to ex 50% asap and those tickets are sold cheaply. But as soon as they hit that mark they up the price. That is where they will actually start making profit.

Sign up to the travelstart.co.za news letter. They have specials on domestic flights all the time. They also give you a fews days notice before the airlines release those super cheap limited seats specials.

Is it also better or work out cheaper through a travel agent? I know they also get very cheap flights as well.

Safair has introductory prices of R750 one way between cape town and Jnb.

No Flights available, and that's in two weeks from now :eek: Are they the new airline that is supposed to have taken over from 1Time?

www.flightsite.co.za

Sometimes booking a one way ticket to your destination and another one for your return is cheaper than a two way ticket. Also, be aware that SAA may look cheaper, until you get to the checkout and realize they didn't include the airport taxes in the price.

Look at certain days of the week and times of the day. Late morning flights are cheaper than ex the 06.00 flights. The longer you book in advance the cheaper the flights are.

Typically the airlines would book a flight up to ex 50% asap and those tickets are sold cheaply. But as soon as they hit that mark they up the price. That is where they will actually start making profit.

+1

Is it also better or work out cheaper through a travel agent? I know they also get very cheap flights as well.

if you get the right agents, at work we get cheaper flights through the agents but they grind us on vehicle hire

I get the cheapest via Kulula + Vitality when i book about a month+ ahead. Flying at some odd times can also drop the price drastically (i.e. like flying out at midnight on a sunday or midweek flying).

Also, flying from Lanseria is cheaper than OR Tambo on the same airline.

If you're willing to give up on social convention, flying on 25th Dec and 1 January is as cheap as flights can get in peak season ;)

I'm flying JHB-CPT in Nov, paid R1100 (return flight) on Kulula+Vitality , and there wasn't a special. That's already cheaper than Safair. So not sure why everyone is raving about that R795 one way price, even Mango got cheaper flights.

Edited by silvertemplar

No Flights available, and that's in two weeks from now :eek: Are they the new airline that is supposed to have taken over from 1Time?

Heard the CEO on radio last week. They're the a new low cost airline. They've been big on chartered flights for years.

Currently only doing the CPT-JNB leg. They say response on their introductory flights have been huge, perhaps check later dates?

I'm flying JHB-CPT in Nov, paid R1100 (return flight) on Kulula+Vitality , and there wasn't a special. That's already cheaper than Safair. So not sure why everyone is raving about that R795 one way price, even Mango got cheaper flights.

Perhaps, but try to book a flight in oct, and you may pay R2400-R2800 return even with vitality's max discount.

Perhaps, but try to book a flight in oct, and you may pay R2400-R2800 return even with vitality's max discount.

I know, I just did this and its sickening. Hence why I need some help and advise. Will be great if this new airline was actually selling tickets.

Flying in and out of Lanseria as opposed to OR Tambo is also a bit cheaper, if you will be in the North then its also easier, but otherwise the distance out of JHB makes it a hassle.

Well just booked a flight for next weekend at peak times with Safair and it only cost R1600 including taxes :thumbup: Not to shabby, hope I get there in one piece ;)

Well just booked a flight for next weekend at peak times with Safair and it only cost R1600 including taxes :thumbup: Not to shabby, hope I get there in one piece ;)

Why don't you bring your new SS with you late next month for Haloween CM. Come see how CM should be done.