Drivetrain Replacments

gminator

Just purchased some new drivetrain parts.

Shimano XT bb, XT chain and SLX cassete

I currently have XT Chain rings that are not really badly worn, don't have any issues with them. But I'm wondering if putting on the new casset and chain will cause issues with my relitively worn chain rings.

The financial times being what it is and component costs being what they are I hopping I can get away with just replacing the main parts I have issues with.

Done that a few times without any issues .....

OK cool my LBS seems to be of the impression that they won't work with old chain rings just want to know be sure.

Depends how bad the old chain rings are of course. Generally I have found that if at all necessary I have to replace the middle chainring only ..... Also best to ride it once the new rear bits and chain have been replaced and make sure the chain doesn't 'slip' on any of the chainrings under 'power'.

OK cool my LBS seems to be of the impression that they won't work with old chain rings just want to know be sure.

some LBSers are very quick to tell customers to replace everything from their cassette to their chainrings, to their toothpaste brand every time a new chain goes on.

Many are just as bad as car mechanics when it comes to recommending unecessary replacement parts.

But generally a cassette can last 3 chains. and chainrings usually last even longer than cassettes.

Wrong thread!

I was wondering what your problem was with those replacing drivetrain components :lol:

Had the new stuff fitted took it for a test ride yesterday, had a small amount of slipping on the middle ring so Im going to swop that out the rest I think can wait for the next chain swop.