WP DH Champs

Guest Omega Man

Looks sick OM! Will definitely pop in soon to have a go. Silly question, but is it always open now or is it still only on build days or invite?

As for those gaps. nothankyouplease.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Pottie did do both roadgaps, so did the 13 year old Jason du Toit, Smittie also did it and Jonty and a few others.

Reasons for closing the bigger features was purely from a safety POV as the wind was gusting at up to 50km/h.

Ah ok. I didn't see anyone hitting them.

Guest Omega Man

Looks sick OM! Will definitely pop in soon to have a go. Silly question, but is it always open now or is it still only on build days or invite?

As for those gaps. nothankyouplease.

It's private property. In short there's going to be an annual membership. The number being thrown around is R500. of that R200 is going straight back into the trails for maintenance and new lines.

(We've already got plans for some new features and enhancements.)

The membership will entitle you to unlimited access and unlimited shuttles. (Your own vehicle of course). Day visitors will be allowed for a fee of R50 but ONLY in the presence of a member. R20 of the R50 goes back into the trails. It will be the members responsibility to ensure that the non member pays the R50 and signs the register indemnifying the land owner should they hurt themselves. If a member is caught riding with a non member who hasn't paid the member gets banned.

Apparently the land owner was there yesterday and was really impressed with what they saw and basically told Jan to go wild and build as much as we want. BTW. Jan doesn't own the land the track is on. His farm is the Protea farm which borders the farm where the track is. We do drive through Jan's land on the shuttle route.

I actually can't stress the magnitude of the opportunity we've been presented here. We have the scope to build as much and as often and as big as we want.

Our next mini project is going to be a bike park style drop zone with drops ranging from small to large so eventually guys like me might have the bottle to hit the top road gap. We are also going to re-look at the jump line. I think the jumps need to be fewer but bigger.

Edited by Omega Man

How about rock up for a race and come see for yourself! Sitting behind a keyboard waiting for other people to upload photos is pretty boring.

Pictures or it didn't happen...

It's private property. In short there's going to be an annual membership. The number being thrown around is R500. of that R200 is going straight back into the trails for maintenance and new lines.

(We've already got plans for some new features and enhancements.)

The membership will entitle you to unlimited access and unlimited shuttles. (Your own vehicle of course). Day visitors will be allowed for a fee of R50 but ONLY in the presence of a member. R20 of the R50 goes back into the trails. It will be the members responsibility to ensure that the non member pays the R50 and signs the register indemnifying the land owner should they hurt themselves. If a member is caught riding with a non member who hasn't paid the member gets banned.

Apparently the land owner was there yesterday and was really impressed with what they saw and basically told Jan to go wild and build as much as we want. BTW. Jan doesn't own the land the track is on. His farm is the Protea farm which borders the farm where the track is. We do drive through Jan's land on the shuttle route.

I actually can't stress the magnitude of the opportunity we've been presented here. We have the scope to build as much and as often and as big as we want.

Our next mini project is going to be a bike park style drop zone with drops ranging from small to large so eventually guys like me might have the bottle to hit the top road gap. We are also going to re-look at the jump line. I think the jumps need to be fewer but bigger.

What about combining it with the trail riders and having tracks all the way down to the entrance at Helderberg Farm?

Will Wannabees be involved?

How about rock up for a race and come see for yourself! Sitting behind a keyboard waiting for other people to upload photos is pretty boring.

edit: I made a mistake sorry

Edited by Hairy

Is it

Few comments and questions:

- Are there other more AM type trails / plans for such trails? Just thinking that for R500 per year you are competing with Tygerberg trails (R530 pa) and Jonkers (R230 pa), which covers oodles of trail (yes, yes the trails aren't comparable) so people may want to be able to spend a few hours on trail for that price as opposed to doing 10 runs at a time;

- Instead of shuttling up with your car is it rideable up on a bike?

Hope the comments are seen as intended. Constructive.

Stepped right into that one hey?

Is it

Few comments and questions:

- Are there other more AM type trails / plans for such trails? Just thinking that for R500 per year you are competing with Tygerberg trails (R530 pa) and Jonkers (R230 pa), which covers oodles of trail (yes, yes the trails aren't comparable) so people may want to be able to spend a few hours on trail for that price as opposed to doing 10 runs at a time;

- Instead of shuttling up with your car is it rideable up on a bike?

Hope the comments are seen as intended. Constructive.

But there are no DH or AM dedicated type trails.....this is really the first in CT I would think?

Infact no you can ride Contermanskloof for less money, that is actually a propper DH track, you have a choice of 2 tracks there. That is all included in your Tygerberg mountainbike club membership. At Jonkershoek you also have a choice of 2 decent DH tracks for R215 per year.

But there are no DH or AM dedicated type trails.....this is really the first in CT I would think?

Infact no you can ride Contermanskloof for less money, that is actually a propper DH track, you have a choice of 2 tracks there. That is all included in your Tygerberg mountainbike club membership. At Jonkershoek you also have a choice of 2 decent DH tracks for R215 per year.

true, but then you don't have a dedicated run as what I assume you would have at the venue OMGmega is working on.

At Jonkers and Conters there will always be XC / AM / DH boys and girls sharing the same runs.

Guest Omega Man

For sure. I'm not trying to sell anything. In my opinion this is a great alternative. We've got scope to do anything we want there which excites me no end.

Guest Omega Man

For me the potential is the big thing. I've been to MANY build days in Cape Town and I've never seen a JCB doing the dog work anywhere else. Most of the stuff in CT is built in a haphazard shitty "on a budget" way whereas the stuff we've built in Helderberg is done properly. big but safe. Like the stuff you are likely to see in a European Bike Park.

And there's scope for more. Much Much more.