WP DH Champs

Guest Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

eish, I think I misunderstood you and thus you thought I was telling you "you guys are crap".

1. I thought you meant by your one post I scanned over (the way I read most long msgs on the hub) that you guys have so much to build and that you need help to build "big things".

2. I didnt know that you have actual assigned trail designers (hence nr1 again)

3. No I didnt see the videos, and only saw one pic of the big jumps

4. I agree fully that we should have many different 'trail designers' in SA to get different types of riding

5. If I thought you guys were crap, I would not have been super keen to come down in December just to ride down there

I however dont agree with your "highways" comment, have you ridden the Karkloof DH track before?

All good. You're still more than welcome to ride and hopefully when you come down there will be a lot more stuff to ride. We can shuttle in my bakkie now hat the diff has finally been sorted.

The Cape is blessed with a few passionate trail builders. Bennet Nel, Rob Starke, Duran van Eeden, Qunut Salaam, Vince and of course Deon so while I really admire the stuff that Hylton Turvey is doing in Karkloof our main challenge has never been a lack of trail builders but land access.

I think the highways comment is in reference to Cascades. The thing people need to realize is that you can only work with the slope you have. And Nigel has done an INCREDIBLE job with Cascades. It's never going to be Champery so he's gone out and made the fastest DH track on the circuit with the biggest jumps.

In the Western Cape the mountains are typically steep and rocky at the top and then flatten out at the bottom. So our tracks are typically tight and tech and steeper at the top and flat at the bottom. So what we typically see is that the bottoms of the tracks have very few, if any, corners and all the jumps are down there.

It has to be said not everyone was happy with the track we've built and there were a few grumbles about it being a bmx track at the bottom. The problem is we could only work with the slope we've bee presented with. If we'd tried to make it tech and narrow there it would just be shite. I think the consensus was that the top of the track was better than the bottom.

Edited by Omega Man

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to sell that low slung Audi and get yourself a Mountain Bikers Car maybe? Like a Ford Ranger 4x4?

that scrape i got on sunday rekindled thoughts of that Ranger, so yes, very much on my radar. But i've got a clamp on big spending until I decide if i leave ZA or not.

that scrape i got on sunday rekindled thoughts of that Ranger, so yes, very much on my radar. But i've got a clamp on big spending until I decide if i leave ZA or not.

I'm in the same boat

Guest Omega Man

sorry, but the orcs have taken over..

The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

sorry, but the orcs have taken over..

Clarification, just in case:

We need smart people in SA (here).

not

People who move away are Orcs.

Guest Omega Man

not

Lets get back to the race. WHERE THE HELL WERE YOU?

not

so you saying you'd rather ignore opportunity elsewhere than be called an Orc?

Guest Omega Man

Ok. What the hell is an Orc? And where is the opportunity? And dibs on the M9.

No man, I don't want to call people who see and grab opportunities elsewhere Orcs. If the opportunity is good and it makes sense, then by all means go.

All I'm saying is we need smart people like you here, so please stay!

Guest Omega Man

Trail looks great! I like the table tops. Nice for beginner AM riders like me :)

Yup. there's a learner jump line of 7 tables too. Although we are probly going to make 4 big tables out of the 7 little ones.

We're also going to build some learner drops too.

Guest Omega Man

lol. Mine! Getit? :P

Erm. No. Does that make me an Orc?

Edited by Omega Man