27.5" vs 29"

KleinLenise

I have both 26" and 29". Found the 29" more responsive on singletrack. May just be me, but go much faster in all conditions on the 'niner.

My suggestion: test ride them all and make your own mind up.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have both 26" and 29". Found the 29" more responsive on singletrack. May just be me, but go much faster in all conditions on the 'niner.

My suggestion: test ride them all and make your own mind up.

What is the 26 and what is the 29?

What is the 26 and what is the 29?

I dont want to step on your toes. But some people are very sensitive if you dare say a 29er is better in any way. Edited by schalk1982

Haha! No man!

The reason I was asking is that handling is a very easy thing to determine. Sorta.

A niner with a shorter wheelbase and chainstays and lower BB will be more "flickable" than a sixer with longer wheelbase and chainstays, with a higher BB.

A niner with the same wheelbase, chainstay length and BB height as a sizer shoudl handle the same in the twisty stuff, albeit with a bit of a disadvantage with turning in thanks to the slightly higher weight of the wheels.

However - head angle, reach and other things also come into it.

So for example - if I were to compare my large Reign X to, say, a small Anthem X 29er, the anthem would handle better in the tight stuff - shorter wheelbase & chainstays. But mine would trash it on the technical stuff - longer travel, shallower head angle and longer wheelbase. Also has a slightly higher BB...

Haha! No man!

The reason I was asking is that handling is a very easy thing to determine. Sorta.

A niner with a shorter wheelbase and chainstays and lower BB will be more "flickable" than a sixer with longer wheelbase and chainstays, with a higher BB.

A niner with the same wheelbase, chainstay length and BB height as a sizer shoudl handle the same in the twisty stuff, albeit with a bit of a disadvantage with turning in thanks to the slightly higher weight of the wheels.

So for example - if I were to compare my large Reign X to, say, a small Anthem X 29er, the anthem would handle better in the tight stuff - shorter wheelbase & chainstays. But mine would trash it on the technical stuff - longer travel, shallower head angle and longer wheelbase. Also has a slightly higher BB...

I discovered this moving from a Silverback Storm to a Scott Scale 920, geometry changes stuffed me up well for a couple of weeks, should I rephrase,..I had to "adjust"..

Haha! No man!

I think this might be overlooked yes. I agree.

What year and model epic did you do the conversion on?

Have not done it yet. But will eventually give it a try.

2012 s-works

I love all these guys saying 29ers will be dead soon, because it was marketing hype. That means if Tata create the most hype and best marketing campaign we will all be driving Tatas soon. No one will consider the quality and reliability of a Toyota, the quality and craftmanship of a Audi. You get my point. God help us all. This is just so old, please stop with these vs threads. I am gonna go ride a spinning cycle in the gym, cause I dont know which size the wheel is, and I dont fricken care.

Giant bikes said they might discontinue 29er in 2 years depending on market feedback... and with almost their whole 2014 stable being 650b you just know where it's going...

Giant bikes said they might discontinue 29er in 2 years depending on market feedback... and with almost their whole 2014 stable being 650b you just know where it's going...

For the last 15years they said Electric guitar music will die...

Giant are struggling. Other competitors are eating into their market share massively. They use to dominate the market. They are clutching at straws. The key word is MIGHT. Edited by schalk1982

Giant are struggling. Other competitors are eating into their market share massively. They use to dominate the market. They are clutching at straws.

Totally agree, they're trying to cause a double-up wave on a current trend which has not entirely established itself as yet,..will it is another question only time will answer

Giant as the larges manufacture and Merida second larges is looking at the European market. South Africa is a very small market and in Europe the 29 niner did not catch on as in South Africa. So the 29 niners sold in South Africa in global terms will not influence there decision if the European and Americans buy into the 27.5 wheel size.

According to the data from COLIBI and COLIPED (the EU industry associations for bicycle and bike parts makers) the number of bikes sold in the EU in 2011, compared to was just under the 20 million mark,

France moved into third place in the European market, with 3.2 million bicycles sold in 2011.

How many bikes are sold in South Africa in a year?

Giant as the larges manufacture and Merida second larges is looking at the European market. South Africa is a very small market and in Europe the 29 niner did not catch on as in South Africa. So the 29 niners sold in South Africa in global terms will not influence there decision if the European and Americans buy into the 27.5 wheel size.

According to the data from COLIBI and COLIPED (the EU industry associations for bicycle and bike parts makers) the number of bikes sold in the EU in 2011, compared to was just under the 20 million mark,

France moved into third place in the European market, with 3.2 million bicycles sold in 2011.

How many bikes are sold in South Africa in a year?

Good point, I was only thinking SA terms..

Personally I hope all 3 formats stay.

The upside is choice - the downside is that keeping all 3 will probably push up the price of all 3 (more jigs, more moulds, more setting up time, more capital etc).

Personally I love choice - if I had my way I would replace 650B with 650A which is "more in the middle" but I guess the marketing guys won that fight and the money has already been spent. Missed opportunity.

My advice would be:

Start with how tall are you? 26 for short, 650b for not so short and 29 for tall. This is a rough guide only. Because the 26 and 650B are so close the small, medium, large rule doesn't apply.

Add in what terrain you'll ride.

Your riding style.

Your current tech skill level - your desired tech skill level.

Tyre availability (is your favourite tyre available in the wheel size you want?)

Bike availability (is the bike you want available in all 3 sizes)

How weight weenie are you?

Price - is the bike cheaper in a different wheel size (last years model etc)

Passion - which wheel size speaks to you?

Add a weighting to each of the details above and you should end up with the right wheel size for you.

Toss the "which wheels size is better" argument out the window and start with "which wheel size is best for ME".