Best riding in Knysna and Franschhoeck?

Aron

Most important guestion, are you a Hammarby supporter?

I will dodge that question by saying that I used to live in Hammarby(höjden) for many years ;)

Hi Aron

I live in Franschhoek and knows the trails quite well. If you don't mind the odd portage section, getting really dirty and some close calls on really rocky downhills I can show you around. Geddan at Franschhoek Cycles will be able to sort you out with a bike too.

Any excuse to ride!

Jennie Stenerhag! Don't kill the man on his first outing in Africa! That lady is FAST!!

Look, I'm no slouch, but remember last years Engen Dynamic 60Mtb race,Miss/Mrs Stenerhag came flying passed me looking like I'm parking off with a beer admiring the un-admirable view around me

Edited by BFScott

franschoek. roughly equidistant to jonkershoek(stellenbosch), welvanpas(wellington), grabouw.

your bum is in butter we get excited about all these places.

knysna will not really give you the rocky downhills you're looking for(i think). harkerville red route is probably the favourite trail of most sa mtbers. it definitely isn't the best riding, but the combination of forest and sea cliffs is just bizarrely wonderful.

Hello Aron . I will be riding in the Harkerville area at the same time you are in the area, if you want to get together let me know Duane. I will be staying in Harkerville

Hi guys!

Sorry for not replying in a few days. Made the mistake of booking a lodge without wifi. Next time I will read the small print more carefully...

As it turns out my landlord here in Knysna is an old pro-roadie and he pointed to a corner and said "There's my MTB. I never use it these days, so take it out for a spin whenever you like. It will be much better than a rental". What a cool guy!

As for the Franchhoeck/Winelands area I wish I could take on all the generous offers. But my wife would kill me. :) I will have to get back to you guys on that one.

Hi guys!

Sorry for not replying in a few days. Made the mistake of booking a lodge without wifi. Next time I will read the small print more carefully...

As it turns out my landlord here in Knysna is an old pro-roadie and he pointed to a corner and said "There's my MTB. I never use it these days, so take it out for a spin whenever you like. It will be much better than a rental". What a cool guy!

As for the Franchhoeck/Winelands area I wish I could take on all the generous offers. But my wife would kill me. :) I will have to get back to you guys on that one.

Some riding Jerome Clementz did when he was in Cape Town, a lot of it in Jonkershoek.

Edit: would help if I posted a link

http://dirt.mpora.com/video-clips/jerome-clementz-rides-in-cape-town-south-africa.html

Edited by Flowta

• 2 weeks later...

I am finnaly again back under the comforting blanket of wifi coverage.

The weather was rubbish but Snoodle and I had a fine ride on the Red Trail in Harkerville. Spectacular views, some nice trail sections and great company!

After that I spent a few days in Tsitsikama. It is starting to turn out to be some sort of theme for this trip but that landlord was also a harcore mtb:er so he brought out a MTB for me and I had a nice ride. Very little trail riding to be found unfortunately, but if one hits downhill jeep tracks fast enough on a entry level bike there is some excitement to be had. And the scenery with Storms River Mouth as a backdrop was of course breathtaking.

So now I am trying to get my riding in the winelands organised. I am really looking forward to it!

Well this was one of those "to much to do, to little time" parts of life. I really wish I could have taken a ride with every one of you who stepped forward and gotten to see your favourite trails.

I live in a country where we have "right of passage" but all the good mountains are in the outbacks. You guys have magnificent mountains everywhere and I have been literally drooling over them from the car. I, almost, wish I was 25 with just me, my bike, and the time to ride at all these cool places.

I ended up doing Jonkershoeck with flowta and his mates. We had a great day out on funpacked trails. The African sun left me with a slight burn on my neck and I almost did my pants when one of the other riders shouted "snake", but I definitely rate it as one of my top three rides this year! Thanks guys!

Once again, I am deeply grateful to all the generous ride offers I have received, I wish I could have ridden with all of you. I have made many new friends this trip, so I will be back one day!

I will try to puzzle together some article from my rides and will post a link once I am done.

I have had a lekker, lekker time!!! (läcker incidently means the same thing in Swedish.)

;)