Best riding in Knysna and Franschhoeck?

Aron

I am a part time editor for a Swedish online MTB magazine and will be travelling the Western Cape with my family during October. Our vacation will be a family affair but I am hoping to get some MTB riding squeezed in. Time wise my best options are in Knysna and Franschhoeck.

So, I am turning to you guys in the hope that you can help me find some good MTB riding in these locations?

I am looking for technical singletrack. The bumpier the ride the better. IMHO fireroads are ok for longer climbs, but apart from that they are a complete turnoff. I will save the DH riding for another trip though.

Are there any good guides in the above locations that I could contact? I expect that the most fun would be to join a local group. But I am also open to hire a professional guide, provided I don't end up in a group of beginners on those pesky fireroads... :)

I brought my personal kit but will need to rent a bike so if you could suggest some good rentals I would be very grateful.

And should anyone ever want to do some MTB riding in Sweden, just give me a shout and I will show you Stockholms best trails. Or put you in contact with the right people if you are staying in another part of the country.

Contact these guys i'm sure they will be able help.

Knysna Cycle Works

Jacques Brink

Tel 027443825153

There is some world class single track in Welvanpas, about 35km from Franschhoek, wel laid out routes that is very enjoyable and the routes vary depending on your skill level. If you need more info feel free to pop into the Cycle Lab in Paarl and we will gladly assist you with this

You have to do the Harkerville red route while in Knysna.

Fron Franschhoek there are plenty of trails in close proximity. Jonkershoek,Welvanpas are probably the closest.

Let me know when you're in the area and I'll see if I can join. I'll start brushing up on my Swedish in the meantime.

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies! I am starting to get exited about this :)

I will be in Knysna 14 + 16-17 October. (Yes I will be there the 15:th as well, but my wife as reserved that date for horseback riding)

My stay in Franschhoeck will be from the 26 to the 29 of Oct.

I will also be spending a few days in Tsitsikamma/Storms River is there any good riding to be had there?

I fit right in the middle between a Large and Medium. I usually ride a Large with a shortish stem but M is fine. Provided there is no race for polkadot jerseys... :)

The only word you need to know in Swedish is Skål! Because I would be buying the beer. :)

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies! I am starting to get exited about this :)

I will be in Knysna 14 + 16-17 October. (Yes I will be there the 15:th as well, but my wife as reserved that date for horseback riding)

My stay in Franschhoeck will be from the 26 to the 29 of Oct.

I will also be spending a few days in Tsitsikamma/Storms River is there any good riding to be had there?

I fit right in the middle between a Large and Medium. I usually ride a Large with a shortish stem but M is fine. Provided there is no race for polkadot jerseys... :)

The only word you need to know in Swedish is Skål! Because I would be buying the beer. :)

I may be able to organise a Specialized Enduro for you when you're in the Franschhoek/Cape Town area.

Not sure about Titsikamma area but can find out.

Steve at Onyourbike.co.za. Hell of a nice guy, knows the trails like the back of his hand.

And he rides like a monster

For Franschoek riding, contact Geddan at Franschoek Cycles. He lays out the trails for a couple of races in that area.

Hi Aron,

Contact us for bike rental options and guided tours at www.irideafrica.com. My business partner, Jennie Stenerhag is Swedish and can take you out on some rides if you are looking to hear how she enjoys life here ;)

Hi Aron,

Contact us for bike rental options and guided tours at www.irideafrica.com. My business partner, Jennie Stenerhag is Swedish and can take you out on some rides if you are looking to hear how she enjoys life here ;)

Jennie Stenerhag! Don't kill the man on his first outing in Africa! That lady is FAST!!

Haha BFScott, Jennie IS fast but has the patience to amble along at any pace dictated by our guests hence making her one of the best guides available ;).