Repair Scratches on Carbon

mtbgirlz

Some help please, the fork on my Bianchi road bike has been quite badly scratched :thumbdown: due to bad loading onto a bike carrier.

Can this be fixed? Any recommendations in the JHB area?

Currently having a chip sorted out on my frame - will have it back by Friday and will let you know how it went.

The company so far has been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

(Please remind me if I forget)

Are the scratches into the carbon or just on the clear coat?

If they are only on the clear coat, a good polish will go a long way to remove the marks. I had some bad scratches on the clear coat of a carbon Ergo Lever. I painted some clear enamel (those tins from toy shops) and you really needed a fine eye to notice the scratches.

Currently having a chip sorted out on my frame - will have it back by Friday and will let you know how it went.

The company so far has been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

(Please remind me if I forget)

Hi there, just wanted to know if you got your chip sorted out, also how bad was it, who repaired it, and the cost if possible... I just bought a Carbon GT and seems like a crack is appearing and am a bit scared to send it in only to get a call saying it will cost R4000... Any feedback will help..

Some help please, the fork on my Bianchi road bike has been quite badly scratched :thumbdown: due to bad loading onto a bike carrier.

Can this be fixed? Any recommendations in the JHB area?

PM your details, I know I guy in Douglasdale doing repairs to carbon frames, an repainting.

I will send you his details.

Are the scratches into the carbon or just on the clear coat?

If they are only on the clear coat, a good polish will go a long way to remove the marks. I had some bad scratches on the clear coat of a carbon Ergo Lever. I painted some clear enamel (those tins from toy shops) and you really needed a fine eye to notice the scratches.

I think they are into the carbon, but a polish is worth a try in any event - thanks!

If it is where there is just clear coat or it is a smallish scratch in the paint, I found one of those "magic pens" you see advertised on TV (Verimark or one of the others) for touching up minor scratches on you car does the trick. Certainly worth the R99 to give it a go. If it doesn't work, you can touch up you car!

A good rub with Brasso or rubbing compound should also help.

You can try http://www.macarbi.com but I must say this recommendation comes with some honest reservations.

I used to row with the guys about 10 years ago and they started a rowing boat and canoeing manufacturing business. I have not used their service for cycle repairs, and did not even know they did bike repairs until this morning when I happened upon one of their vehicles in traffic saying they did carbon cycle repairs, but if they are still in the carbon fabrication and repair market, they must be doing fairly decent work.

What I can say is that:

1. The forces exerted on rowing equipment are immense, so I have no doubt that the result should be strong.

2. The boats need to have very good finishes this directly affects the resistance of the boat, so there shouldn't be an issue with the paintwork levels after the fix.

3. The forces exerted on rowing equipment are different in nature to cycling (imagine hitting a rock or going off a dropoff as opposed to levering against something for half a second - high speed impulse verses long time force). I would assume they would use a different resin to overcome this.

Give them a shout, ask for some references - can't hurt to try.

Steve and Andy at Maccabi are great, they built a carbon facemask for my son so that he could continue playing soccer after he broke out his front teeth in an accident.

No problem too big.

I think they are into the carbon, but a polish is worth a try in any event - thanks!

Carbon doesn't scratch that easily. It is pretty tough. I'm willing to bet the scratch is in the clear coat.

Ok just checked again, the paint is gone and I can see blackish grey (I assume that is the carbon) so I guess the damage is merely the paint work?

By the looks of it I don't Think polish will help but maybe a verimark pen is what I need?

Hi there, just wanted to know if you got your chip sorted out, also how bad was it, who repaired it, and the cost if possible... I just bought a Carbon GT and seems like a crack is appearing and am a bit scared to send it in only to get a call saying it will cost R4000... Any feedback will help..

I will drop you a PM after I pick it up on Friday.

I picked up my bike yesterday and am extremely happy with the result.

I got a brand new Giant TCR frame and whilst putting some insulation tape around the seatpost where my saddlebag attaches, I dropped a scissors on the top tube which chipped the clear top layer.

post-15168-0-96357800-1381386467_thumb.jpg

Being a bit particular of my bike, I needed to get it sorted and I have also been wanting to get some personal artwork done for some time now so got in touch with CycleArt.

post-15168-0-21668900-1381386769_thumb.jpg

The result speaks for themself and can only give rave reviews on my dealing with them.

If you are looking for paintwork and repairs I would suggest they be your first stop. I don't have any relation or interest in the business - just a satisfied customer!

www.cycleart.co.za

• 3 years later...

Don't want to start a new thread, but need help on getting very light surface scratch marks out of UD Matte Carbon rims. It was caused by the plastic straps on a Thule bike rack. 

Thanks in advance

PM your details, I know I guy in Douglasdale doing repairs to carbon frames, an repainting.

I will send you his details.

Please send me his details

Archived