Slanghoek Triathlon

JGR

Doing is for the first time. Long MTB for me. Clanwilliam went okay so will try and push it a bit.

Its a great race and you get a bottle of Red in the goodie bag

Anyone going to be at the race?

Goals?

Yip, doing the "long" road. I'd like to finish top 25%. I heard that the course has changed, so I don't really have any goal times.

Its a great race and you get a bottle of Red in the goodie bag

Ja looking forward to it! Haven't been swimming that much since 70.3, and could feel it this weekend at Clanwilliam. Eye opener, which was good.

Hope all the racing snakes will we doing the long road event, then the average Joe's like me can feel like pro's on the MTB :-D

In my opinion, it is by far the best Triathlon in WC. Can't find last years results but think I was 40th, so I'll be going for top 30 this year.

Agreed it is also my favourite race in the WC (with GWWW)

Interesting that there is a new course .... not sure how they could change it. Not many other roads around

Last year we turned off the main road to the left, then did a out and back there (crossed train tracks), road was really rough. Think we aren't doing that section this year.

Hope they sort out the Bike In section this year, lots of people wiped on the loose gravel last year.

I was out there yesterday. The valley is looking magnificent.

Hi ChrisH, you were taking photos at the very pleasant weathered bone dry M2M race yesterday right? My race number was 520 Long route, how do I order photos from you?

Cheers

Brandon

Edited by BFScott

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , anyone interested in an entry for the long MTB Tri?

I have one entry and unfortunately won't be able to assist.

Telf: 0793659837

Thanks

Regards

Pablo

Awesome race today.

The swim in the 18-34 group was quite hectic and I got belted over the head a few times. It thinned out soon enough, but maybe they should think of 2 waves next time.

The bike course was definitely an improvement over last year, even though it was a bit shorter. Less turns, more grinding.

The run course looked like a sandpit this year and contained about 500m of tar, so not much of a road run. Felt like a beach run for a lot of the way. About 4 or five stream crossings with the last one about 30-40cm deep.

I felt awful for the people who were still busy slogging it out at 12 o'clock with the temperatures nearing 30 degrees! I saw a woman at the 2nd turnaround point for the bike as I was driving home: she looked like she was in a lot of trouble.

Made my goal of finishing top 25%, but need to work hard on the run as I dropped about 10 places at a 5:15/km pace.

did the long road tri.had a terrible race.everything that could go wrong did go wrong.started at 9 as i am in the old peoples group.swim started fine untill the first x terra bouy.got kikked and my xt 910 went off the arm.spent about 7 min doing some scuba diving to find watch.eventualy found watch.everytime i came up for air i got swam over and goggles came off.took me huge chunks of time to put watch back on and get the goggles sorted.seriously considered just going to the dam wall and calling it quits.took some time to gather the thoughts and decided to carry on.at this stage i was far back.second loop of the swim went fine.in t1 i could not get my wetsuite off as the oke who zipped me up zipped my tri top in the zipp of the wetsuite.eventualy got it off.the bike went fine untill i got a puncture from some glass on the road.off the bike,new tube,bomb and on i slogged.i also managed to cut my finger when removing the glass from the tire.in trying to catch up on the rest of the bike i burnt way too many matches and forgot to stay properly hydrated which came back to bite me in the ass on the run.the terain did not suite me as i have had ligament surgery on both legs and left ankle before so i need a sure footplant.this is the reason i do not do trail running.slogged it out in the heat and ended up in 3 hours 29 min.definately a day for the brain to work hard to just keep going.at least my bad race and shyte karma is gone now.

well done reteid.... sounds like it would have been easy to give up but I'm sure you've learnt from it and it also can't get any worse so you can look forward to some good races in the future

[...]

the bike went fine untill i got a puncture from some glass on the road.

[...]

Sounds like a day which taught you a lot of lessons :)

Yeah, I saw lots of glass on the road. Maybe the organisers should do something about the huge amount of glass on the road?

I'm not expecting them to sweep the road like the Ironman guys, but maybe send someone along the course just to get the huge shards and half-broken bottles out the road?