Rave - Racing Ralphs durability

I FLY

I use rocket ron pacestar... Done so since April this year.... 3000km later... I am still happy.. Sani2c, berg&Bush.. Loads of groenkloof Rocky stuff...

Would prefer a Ralph at the back to facilitate some more sideways movement... But to all those guys and gals who want to get rid of these tyres... Send me a msg :-)

PS not one sidewall cut or pinch...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used RRalph snakeskins on the rear for a while now. Only negative is that I seem to have to run them a bit harder if I'm riding fast flowing single track like at van gaalens river section. It's not that the tyre loses grip but the soft-ish sidewall collapses under lateral load and doesn't inspire confidence. Tar chows them. Bye.

These are true, wise words!! I also get VERY nervous when the sidewall starts moving so much...I'm just waiting for the burp sound to appear!!

Mine (RR) have done ~1000km now...and They are about halfway worn...thinking of swapping front with back to prolong lifespan??

I've been an avid Conti fan...and isnlt 100% sold on these RR yet!! quess time will tell..

i like a ra ralph snakeskin on the back but a rocket ron not snakeskip upfront. never ever a sidecut. tried maxis ixons on the back my goodness fast but for ef sakes they dont grip when you need to stop fast. with icons you really need to pull on the front brake as well. respect for people who race with icons upfront i dont have the skills

What is the Shield like?

I tried them on my SS but could not get them to seal and ended up with a Nobbly Nic/Ralph combination.

I would however like to try them again at some stage.

The Shield is light and very fast but got enough grip as a rear. It`s only 2.1 so not enough volume as a front but the perfect race tire on the rear. They seated with a floor pump on my AC wheels and held air perfectly without stans. On the Crest rim it required a compressor to seat but held air perfectly. I`ve used 4 of them so far and 2 of them got tiny sidewall cuts before the tread was worn. I won`t recommend it as an everyday tire but it`s my favourite racing rear.

i like a ra ralph snakeskin on the back but a rocket ron not snakeskip upfront. never ever a sidecut. tried maxis ixons on the back my goodness fast but for ef sakes they dont grip when you need to stop fast. with icons you really need to pull on the front brake as well. respect for people who race with icons upfront i dont have the skills

..I'd prefer a Snake(skip) upfront over a non snake(skip), especially now that its summer, hehe!