PING Patches, Nige, Mr Christmas Tree etc - Trail input needed!

So as (some of) you know, I'm involved in the trail building side of Tokai MTB, and we;re revitalizing the trails that got canned as a result of logging.

We've "finished" one of the trails already, and another is being opened up again as I speak, but there are 2 or 3 (and even more) trails that are either brand spanking new, or require a radical re-route and redesign in order to get them to work in the conditions that we have. Those conditions are:

Baking summer heat

No summer rain (except the odd occasion)

Radical wind

Sandstone based soil on the lower reaches, populated with Fynbos

Hectic winter rain (area is the wettest in the western cape, believe it or not)

The design must be sustainable, erosion friendly and progressive (enough fun for everyone)

The DH lines are semi-sorted, but for the purpose of this post, they're not included. They don't need a radical rework yet, and they WILL get attention when these are finished. It is integral to the survival of Tokai that these trails are opened soon.

Oh - another thing - we can't use wooden structures just yet, as they're planning a quick burn to kick-start the fynbos growth in April / May next year.

So my question / request of you guys who ride "park" and all those who are Faster Than Me is such - what do YOU like to ride?

Bear in mind that even though the trail will be progressive - it still needs to be "safe" for people of all skill levels to ride (rollable drops / jumps / tables etc) and will be an intermediate to advanced "All Mountain" trail. It can't go thrashing down the mountain in a straight line, as that would be an enviro disaster. We're also dealing with parks here, so any mention of a stabilising substance (concrete, for example) will be met with heretic stares and burning at the stake. Rock, clay and such are all that we get to work with.

Digger access is also a strictly controlled item. As in we can't really get approval for it as much as we want, so it's pretty much blood, sweat, spades, hoes and me (the rock whisperer) that we have to rely on to get the job done.

I WELCOME your comments - we're looking at making this a great destination for MTB. Along the lines of what it was BEFORE the logging, but even better.

There will also be a skills park at the bottom of the swatch of land, including a pump track with different lines (much like Dirtopia had back when) a full on drop & jump area (like Helderberg is getting)

Please - let me have your suggestions!

I really enjoying riding fast, flowing trails, with the occasional rollable 'step-down' (i.e if you go fast enough you'll catch air, but its completely rollable, much like what Mamba? used to have). I really enjoyed the berms you guys have built into Mamba, and the other trails would benefit from similar features as well IMHO.

The ideal trail for me is one that is fast in sections, with interspersed technical sections (a drop-off, rock garden etc).

Could you get permission for a BobCat or SkidSteer. Would help placing rocks. Wonderful little machines.

Could you get permission for a BobCat or SkidSteer. Would help placing rocks. Wonderful little machines.

We're working on it...

Someone else who might be of assistance is Hylton Turvey.

The trails at Karkloof are super fun & flowing. Fun for most types of riders.

Also noticed they built proper drainage where needed.

Good luck in any case!

Good luck with that project!!

Will come over and inspect them when they are rideable...

Just how do you mix a fast flowing track with one that does nor get eroded by the winter rains??? When you come up with a good solution...please share!

Just how do you mix a fast flowing track with one that does nor get eroded by the winter rains??? When you come up with a good solution...please share!

Stone-impregnated clay, rock lining and lots of water channels. French drains at high traffic areas and trails that don't go straight down the fall line!

Plus - loads of attention after the rain. And during summer. 'Cos people drag brakes around corners. That's why we're doing rock bases pretty much everywhere now. It's one of the only ways to safeguard against the back brake heroes coming around the corners.

Someone else who might be of assistance is Hylton Turvey.

The trails at Karkloof are super fun & flowing. Fun for most types of riders.

Also noticed they built proper drainage where needed.

Good luck in any case!

Ja, im sure that drainage makes the trails much more sustainable...and they dont affect your ride at all.

Plus - loads of attention after the rain. And during summer. 'Cos people drag brakes around corners. That's why we're doing rock bases pretty much everywhere now. It's one of the only ways to safeguard against the back brake heroes coming around the corners.

You mean these clowns?

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/334524

This video's obviously pretty funny because of the kid's commentary but it's a really nice looking trail; smooth, windy and loads of jumps to play on.

Edited by SomeBloke

Ja, im sure that drainage makes the trails much more sustainable...and they dont affect your ride at all.

Depends who's built them! I've seen some SHOCKING water bars and stuff.

+1

Similar to waterbound MacAdam used on the older roads found in the Cape.