Garmin edge 510 or 800

Nickster

I'm looking at upgrading to a GPS enabled cycling computer for my mtb endeavors.

I've narrowed my choices down to the edge 510 and 800.

I'd just like some input from people who have used either or even both, which would they recommend?

Can't talk for the 800 but recently got a 510 and love the auto upload to garmin connect via bluetooth and then onwards to Strava without any hassle. Commute occasional so the livetrack feature lets the wife keep track of me. Quite nb given the number of car strikes this side of the world!

Also wanna hear response! Same sort of dilemma - haha!

Wondering if 800 worth the extra money!

Edited by Genesis

Can't talk for the 800 but recently got a 510 and love the auto upload to garmin connect via bluetooth and then onwards to Strava without any hassle. Commute occasional so the livetrack feature lets the wife keep track of me. Quite nb given the number of car strikes this side of the world!

Also like that livetrack - how do you find it hits your phone battery life? (Endomondo is nice but kills mine)

Edited by walkerr

I'm looking at upgrading to a GPS enabled cycling computer for my mtb endeavors.

I've narrowed my choices down to the edge 510 and 800.

I'd just like some input from people who have used either or even both, which would they recommend?

The difference between the 500 and 800 series is really the larger colour screen of the 800 which makes it good for maps. Also touch screen and more 'screens', and more bike fields. 500 series is trimmed down but great for GPS logging and general bike speedo.

x10 series is the latest with Bluetooth link ups, can upload live tracking etc, how useful all that is I don't know.

510 all the way!

It is smaller than the 800. The 510 has some nice new features which is not on the 800.

Other than that the only other thing the 800 offers is maps and that is someting you never use. If you want maps, use you phone or car gps.

I dont have time to stare at a screen that tells me where to go, I need to look where I am going!

I've had a 500 for over three years, now its been excellent but recently got a 800 for the maps. That it can store 5 bike profiles is a bonus, the 500 only does three.

I've had a 500 for over three years, now its been excellent but recently got a 800 for the maps. That it can store 5 bike profiles is a bonus, the 500 only does three.

Is the 500 sold?

The battery life on my iPhone is shocking but has nothing to do with Garmin Connect and all to do with ios7.

I am still running my Garmin edge 700, has maps, proper click buttons and a great battery life. 5 years and going strong.

The battery life on my iPhone is shocking but has nothing to do with Garmin Connect and all to do with ios7.

Yep - mine Samsung too, even without Endomondo running