How is fork travel measured?

Mojoman

A slow and quiet Friday afternoon question....

I measured the exposed section of my forks to see what the travel is, the vernier indicates 133.?mm but my fork is supposed to have 125mm? I take it that measuring from the top of the fork seals to the top of the fork leg is incorrect?

post-12678-0-25703000-1382105235_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mojoman

All the forks I've measured have a bit more stanchion length than the travel ie. my 150mm fox had a 156 mm stanchion.

I guess you just don't use the whole length in your travel..

Measuring the exposed shaft is how I understand it as well, but no shock guru me, so won't be able to comment on that extra 1cm you have there.( Not maybe that your sag has something to do with that?)

Edited by BFScott

Let out all the air + and - and then push the shock in.Mark where the seals are and then pull it apart as far as it can go.The difference is the travel.

The exposed stanchion will not determine travel. Keep in mind that your bike needs a fork with a certain axle-to-crown length which will affect the head angle and BB height of the bike.

If you want to check go for a ride and make sure the fork gets a proper workout. Normally a little layer of dust forms on the stanchion. Now measure from this line to the seal and it should give a fairly accurate measurement.

Depending on how much air you have in your fork, the negative spring can compress slightly more or less, giving you more (or less) travel. The manufacturer's spec is about +-5mm anyways.

Also, pos and neg chamber pressure difference (significant, like more than 15psi) can lead to an over or under "stance" of the shock.

Do as mentioned above, let all the air out, pos and neg, COMPRESS the shock to force all the air out, depress the valves to let the compressed air out.

Re-inflate to correct pressures and you should be set.

Hope this helps

Edited by NINER_boy