Training with MTB for IMSA,70.3, road races

ADe

Having read so many stories (this morning's thread of the Tzaneen cyclists come to mind) about how dangerous it is to ride on the road these days, I am seriously considering doing most of my training with my MTB. Just this weekend again during a road race I noticed how close vehicles pass cyclists and just how small the margin for error is. Over the next few months I will be spending a lot of time on my bike training for the above races.

So how effective would it be to train 80% of the time on my MTB, with the odd once a month TT bike/road bike ride, if I am training for a 180k road race? I can also throw in the odd indoor training session on my road bike/gym bike.

Edited by ADe

Having read so many stories (this morning's thread of the Tzaneen cyclists come to mind) about how dangerous it is to ride on the road these days, I am seriously considering doing most of my training with my MTB. Just this weekend again during a road race I noticed how close vehicles pass cyclists and just how small the margin for error is. Over the next few months I will be spending a lot of time on my bike training for the above races.

So how effective would it be to train 80% of the time on my MTB, with the odd once a month TT bike/road bike ride, if I am training for a 180k road race? I can also throw in the odd indoor training session on my road bike.

That's quite funny really how things have gone. I like to think that my road time is mtb training without the expensive wear and tear. Going bossies on the rear flashers is a good move before deciding the road is a no go.

I don't know if time on a MTB equals time on a TT bike. MTBing requires bursts of energy with short periods of recovery in between, whereas Ironman TTing requires long periods of sustained power with little/no recovery in between.

Last season I predominately spent time on my road & TT bikes and did the occasional MTB event. I really struggled with the MTBing, but did pretty well in most road and TT-style events.

I guess you could see the MTBing as interval training, but if I was in the same situation I'd rather spend time on the trainer and the road. Leading up to the Ironman you should be doing 4 to 6 hour rides on a weekly basis in conditions similar to race day, and I can't really see how you'd achieve that on a single track.

I'd rather focus on ways to make your road riding safer than try to exclude it altogether. Maybe join a competitive club in the area and ride with them, ride on seldom used roads, make yourself more visible, etc.

You also need to think about the riding position, TT vs MTB you may want to spend more time riding in a TT position to get familiar with it

Yep Early morning sessions on Turbo are a very good way of training.

Mind you the missus used to do 6Hr turbos sessions, not sure if I could bear that.

Do not underestimate the strain that is put on your neck by being in the aero position. Remember you head is the first thing hitting the wind. You need to get use to this, otherwise your neck is going to kill you on race day.

Yep Early morning sessions on Turbo are a very good way of training.

Mind you the missus used to do 6Hr turbos sessions, not sure if I could bear that.

What did she do about (damage prevention) sweat dripping on the stem / headset area especially if she rode on TT bars?

Or does she only glow / perspire instead of sweating like us males.... :whistling:

Edited by SwissVan

What did she do about (damage prevention) sweat dripping on the stem / headset area especially if she rode on TT bars?

Or does she only glow / perspire instead of sweating like us males.... :whistling:

Not the most prone to perspiration, unlike me, but she also used to just keep a towel of the front end. Did I mention that she was also completely barking mad after 3 months doing this. She maintained that by comparison the race day bike was a party.

I don't know if time on a MTB equals time on a TT bike. MTBing requires bursts of energy with short periods of recovery in between, whereas Ironman TTing requires long periods of sustained power with little/no recovery in between.

Last season I predominately spent time on my road & TT bikes and did the occasional MTB event. I really struggled with the MTBing, but did pretty well in most road and TT-style events.

Agree if you do only trails & mtb races. But what about using your mtb on open district roads, should be similar training except for the riding position?

Agree if you do only trails & mtb races. But what about using your mtb on open district roads, should be similar training except for the riding position?

Yes that is exactly the case where I live. I do my Sunday 2hr recovery rides on my MTB on open 'plaaspaaie'.

I would feel fine doing the bulk of riding on the MTB, as you are on flat farm roads it is easy to ride a steady output as you would in IM, but I would throw in a few longer rides on your TT bike from time to time and increase this until you do 80 % of your rides on your race bike as you get closer to the event

I use this. Works pretty well.

Link: http://www.swimcycle...weat-cover.html

They sometimes have them at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Not the most prone to perspiration, unlike me, but she also used to just keep a towel of the front end. Did I mention that she was also completely barking mad after 3 months doing this. She maintained that by comparison the race day bike was a party.

Thanks, was just wondering...I've got a Trax sweat shield similar to one Sluiper posted but I've found (have on occasion done 5 - 6 hrs on the IDT) they work ok but don't protect the frame 100% and sweat still "splashes" all over.

I used to use cling wrap to protect parts of my frame in addition to the sweat shield, easy to put on and a pain in the arse to remove....

• 2 weeks later...

I think a 29er with large gearing should do the trick. At least more options to dodge the dodgy with that machine. Indoor training or 90mins+ spinning classes do wanders for interval sessions and endurance.

I only get on the road with my road / tt bike when it is IM race day!