Shimano Cassette - Cog Play

fanievb

Hi

I'm in the process of giving my bike her annual workover.

I discovered that there is some play in the cassette cogs and I'm not sure if this is normal. (see youtube link)

so my question to the all knowing technical inclined hubbers: Do I need a new one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYA6a_swOM&feature=youtu.be

edit: the cassette is about 18 Months old, about 2800km. Deore

Edited by fanievb

Yes, that is normal.

The splines on the freehub keep the sprockets from moving, that and the by tightening the freehub lockring.

Whether you need a new one depends on how worn the chain and/or teeth on the cassette are.

If im not mistaken, pins keep the cassette in place when removed off the freewheel body.. IF the cassette does that when on the freewheel body then i suggest a new one or a new freewheel.. Thus it is just play in the pins (which are removable) so i would not worry too much..

If im not mistaken, pins keep the cassette in place when removed off the freewheel body.. IF the cassette does that when on the freewheel body then i suggest a new one or a new freewheel.. Thus it is just play in the pins (which are removable) so i would not worry too much..

Yes, you can use the cassette without the pins. As individual sprockets