S.A. downhill ladies

Wyatt Earp

Stretch, the 3 other 'main' (edit to add: KZN based) DH ladies are either injured or out of the country.

KathF chipped a piece off her collarbone @ St. Ives and decided to sit the event out.

Kim Westbrook dislocated her elbow on Thursday, pre-riding the enduro tracks

Jo Hicks is overseas.

That said, Beanie is a great little rider. ALL the ladies who did ride, did well to get down that track in the condition it was in, it was not easy even just to roll down the track.

There are a couple other girls that do the odd race that I have not mentioned but unfortunately the timing of the event (over Easter) wasn't the greatest in my opinion as a lot of people have family commitments. 

The mens DH only had a couple guys from JHB and 3 guys from the WC.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stretch, the 3 other 'main' (edit to add: KZN based) DH ladies are either injured or out of the country.

KathF chipped a piece off her collarbone @ St. Ives and decided to sit the event out.

Jo Hicks is overseas.

That said, Beanie is a great little rider. ALL the ladies who did ride, did well to get down that track in the condition it was in, it was not easy even just to roll down the track.

There are a couple other girls that do the odd race that I have not mentioned but unfortunately the timing of the event (over Easter) wasn't the greatest in my opinion as a lot of people have family commitments. 

thanks - was wondering where all the kzn locals were....and not disputing the talent of beanie (in fact I see her as our next big thing and have been saying that for years)...still said though not enough is being done in our juniors on the womens side...looking at the guys we had youth and junior categories...would it not be feasible to have an enduro type track for junior and youth girls that want to try give it a go. If the younger girls want to try the full course they then compete in the womens category

what Im saying is the biggest hindrance to downhill is the bike - get some young girls riding enduro type tracks where they can still use their normal mtb - and at least get a feel for the thrill of dh

Jo Hicks is overseas.

yeah, SM - nothing being taken away from the ladies there (and we had our Enduro down here at Welvenpas over the weekend) but the point is that there's not enough emphasis being placed on grassroots development of talent. 

It's slowly changing, but yeah. There's simply not enough ladies coming through. 

Agreed fellas. My post wasn't to make an excuse for the ladies it was just to state the facts of why some of the regulars did not turn up.

WRT the bike being a hinderance... there were a couple of small kids heading down on trail bikes and although they struggled they did get down. That said a NATIONAL is probably not the place to be trying to introduce new DH riders TBH. We ran the FULL WORLD CUP track (in the wet) this past weeknd and that is a big ask of people (especially new DH riders, male or female, of any age) to roll down. Certain sections were just plain difficult.

In KZN we are fortunate enough to have a functioning regional DH and Enduro series and this is the place to nuture development and we do see better numbers at these events. Also, the tracks are far more suited to new riders. In SA we have pretty much zero development for any DH riders (AFAIK) as there is no real money allocated to the sport. Just look at the prize money allocation this weekend, the winner of the mens DH got R1000, the winner of the XCO walked away with R14k...

From the CSA document:

Total prizemoney for the different events are as follows:

• Enduro – R 45 000.00
  • XCO HC: R 120 000.00
  • XCO Masters: R 20 000.00
  • Classic: R 80 000.00
  • SA DHI: R 15 000.00 

XCO Masters get more cash than the whole DH event!

It should also be noted that a lot of pressure is often placed on promising XC riders NOT to consider DH.

That is ridiculous....it is my one major gripe with csa...not enough is being done to encourage dh...do you not think the spur series should have a enduro/dh event?

That's pathetic. Really, really pathetic.

And I agree with you re Enduro - I reckon it'll become the feeder sport that we really need for DH ladies & gents of the future. It just needs to be fostered properly. 

That is ridiculous....it is my one major gripe with csa...not enough is being done to encourage dh...do you not think the spur series should have a enduro/dh event?

I don't know Stretch, perhaps Nige can voice an opinion here.

In my view, perhaps a DH option would not be ideal, but perhaps an enduro style race (with only 1 or 2 stages, start and finish at same spot to keep it logistically simpler) could be considered. The track(s) would have to be gravity fed so that riders who excel in the tech ultimately win. Also, a separate bike would not be required.

I wrote a whole long reply breaking it all down but realized it's all been said before.

If you want to help, do this.

Get involved. Get your club involved. Organize events on a local level. Join your provincial MTB commission and make Sh#@ happen on that level.

The magic formula is......

More people skidding down the local hill = more people skidding down the provincial hill = more people skidding down the national hill = more chance of an SA world champ.

Rather than sit around and complain, lets do something about it.

Stretch, how about you organize a beginners DH day for school kids?

I guess the good thing about this thread is that we can sort of keep track of the changes/issues from when it was first started.

So, in a year and a half since it was started we can say that we have functioning Enduro Series in KZN, JHB (well Hakahana really) and the WC.

Most of the issues regarding funding, development and sponsorship (financial/product) seem to have remained unchanged.

WRT ladies participation KZN has seen between 12 (@ St Ives) & 21 (@ Karkloof) ladies get involved at the regional level. The DH has seen between 6 (@ Karkloof) & 8 (@ St Ives). The majority of ladies competing seem to be in the sub-vet category.

So we have had a growth in the number of ladies riding 'technical' terrain. We've also seen a slight growth in the numbers at DH if I'm not mistaken. What we have not seen is a growth in younger female riders in DH.

[edit] I'm not sure of the WC or Hakahana series numbers.

Unfortunately we have no National Enduro scene...

Unfortunately we have not seen a growth in ladies numbers at a National DH level (normally only 1 or 2 'locals' turn up). 

Rather than sit around and complain, lets do something about it.

Stretch, how about you organize a beginners DH day for school kids?

dave - i am all for this...and am more than happy to help/run with it but not being directly involved in the DH/enduro scene (just a fan) I think it needs one of you guys to be part of it to

I would actually call it junior enduro myself as some parent might get a bit anxious when you throw DH into the title.

Here's my commitment...gonna chat to ROAG and my mate (who is already quite actively sponsoring some local MTB guys) and see what we can come up with

I guess the good thing about this thread is that we can sort of keep track of the changes/issues from when it was first started.

So, in a year and a half since it was started we can say that we have functioning Enduro Series in KZN, JHB (well Hakahana really) and the WC.

Most of the issues regarding funding, development and sponsorship (financial/product) seem to have remained unchanged.

WRT ladies participation KZN has seen between 12 (@ St Ives) & 21 (@ Karkloof) ladies get involved at the regional level. The DH has seen between 6 (@ Karkloof) & 8 (@ St Ives). The majority of ladies competing seem to be in the sub-vet category.

So we have had a growth in the number of ladies riding 'technical' terrain. We've also seen a slight growth in the numbers at DH if I'm not mistaken. What we have not seen is a growth in younger female riders in DH.

[edit] I'm not sure of the WC or Hakahana series numbers.

Unfortunately we have no National Enduro scene...

Unfortunately we have not seen a growth in ladies numbers at a National DH level (normally only 1 or 2 'locals' turn up). 

thats some nice figures to gauge progress...so yes..we do need to promote the sport at junior level...boys and girls

and a quick disclaimer...I am in NO WAY discrediting the work you guys have already done and are currently doing.

and a quick disclaimer...I am in NO WAY discrediting the work you guys have already done and are currently doing.

I don't think anyone is pointing fingers. I think initially we just feel like nothing is happening (myself included) and yet when we look back only 1.5 years we definitely have moved forward (quite nicely I think).

Add to the fact that KZNMTB has invested in a world class Enduro timing system (which can be converted to a DH timing system, if it is required in the future) means that things are on the up and up, but yes we do need to get more youngsters psyched on rolling down hills.

we have grown the number of ladies entering provincial DH since last year by 80 to 100% so far ....

We had on average 4 to 5 riders in the past, and now have 8 actively racing ladies in a field of 80 riders. ... So we have 10% of the field being ladies - which I think is good going.

Compared with Cape Town where there is Rika and maybe Joanna but thats about it ... I think we are doing well.

The difference between us and the UK is that in the UK there is not really a provincial scene so riders have to go and race nationals. And it is from there that they are picked up onto teams etc - Rachel has sponsored the ladies discipline at the BDS now for this year and the national governing body has a major drive for women in sport so they are pushing classes etc.   ... 

We are doing the same but government are wanting development riders - not really women .. so the focus is different. 

But I think we are doing well so far and I think it will continue to grow with the help of Enduro and some dedicated people (other than Dave and I as our plates are full already).

Archived