Rant. How much should an event T-shirt cost?

Dazshell

Generally the more shirts you print the cheaper it becomes. The problem they sit with is that they have to provide a price otherwise no one will order one.

Woolworths produces say 10,000 shirts and they have standing contracts with providers in order to get the best deal. These guys probably are only going to produce lets say 5% of that without any contracts in place so they pay more for the 'blank' t-shirt than woolies does. Then they have to split the design cost between 500 shirts and not 10000 which increases your per unit cost.

Its up to each individual to decide if R285 is to much or not, but they are caught between a rock and a hard place...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To put in perspective The Burger Cycle Tour t-shirt is R120 (and I didn't even bother to buy that)

Can't see myself spending that kind of money on a t-shirt unless the event has some special kind of significance for me, R285 just screams rip-off..

Generally the more shirts you print the cheaper it becomes. The problem they sit with is that they have to provide a price otherwise no one will order one.

Woolworths produces say 10,000 shirts and they have standing contracts with providers in order to get the best deal. These guys probably are only going to produce lets say 5% of that without any contracts in place so they pay more for the 'blank' t-shirt than woolies does. Then they have to split the design cost between 500 shirts and not 10000 which increases your per unit cost.

Its up to each individual to decide if R285 is to much or not, but they are caught between a rock and a hard place...

Okay. I'm in the advertising business. I do T-shirts for clients. A decent quality T-shirt costs around R65.00 for small runs. The design they are showing has only 2 colours front and back, so no more than R30.00 to print. R25.00 for postage. Total cost is then R120.00 That gives a mark-up of 140%! Even Woolies don't mark up that much. Lopoking at the design, that should have cost no more than R1500 - R2000 even from an agency, so on 500 shirts you can add R3 - R4. They are just too expensive. I bet you at R185, they would sell plenty and actually make more money.

But alas, I will not be buying this time round.

Okay. I'm in the advertising business. I do T-shirts for clients. A decent quality T-shirt costs around R65.00 for small runs. The design they are showing has only 2 colours front and back, so no more than R30.00 to print. R25.00 for postage. Total cost is then R120.00 That gives a mark-up of 140%! Even Woolies don't mark up that much. Lopoking at the design, that should have cost no more than R1500 - R2000 even from an agency, so on 500 shirts you can add R3 - R4. They are just too expensive. I bet you at R185, they would sell plenty and actually make more money.

Very true. I was just giving a bit of background as to why a major retailer would always be cheaper than an event t shirt. I was not protecting the R285 price tag. I also think that is very expensive if it is a plain T-shirt with basic printing...

I think a fair price would be between R120 and R150. And besides which what about getting the sponsors to chip in say 5 or 10 bucks each per shirt and that will also bring the cost down. We are after all walking around advertising for all the sponsors of the race that are on the race t-shirt.

Gotta love the smaller races like Sedhaven, for your entry you get an event T shirt of better quality than the big clothing stores.

Selling T-shirts are not these guys primary line of business, so they will mark up more than a retailer. Their business has not been optimised to sell clothes likes WW's has.

There are also more costs to this that you mentioned in your post, those are the obvious and direct ones, but there are more to consider.

X-quantity at R185 per shirt vs Y-quantity at R285 per shirt is definitely a sum that they have done.

Edit: Again, not defending the price of the shirt. But rather the fact that it is their choice to charge what they want and that is is probably based on factors that we do not know of, just as we can choose not to buy at that price if we feel the product is not worth the price.

Edited by ArchedBackChinOut

When did Matt sell the hub to you?

I agree don't buy the shirt if costs too much but if people want to start a thread and discuss it they are entitled to do that.

AND HE IS ENTITLED TO HIS OPINION WHICH HE GAVE

Then dont buy it!

When did we all of a sudden decide we are allowed to tell people how much THEY charge for THEIR products.

This is becoming a daily hub thing...

Go print your own one, and while you are at it, print me one too.

Since its written in the constitution? I think it's right that they should know. I buy cycling related T-shirts all the time and none of them have been more then R200, oh wait the one imported T-shirt was R250.

I see in the small description that the Amashova shirt is made from or has something called "birdseye moisture management"

Perhaps that contributes to the fantastic price?

Since its written in the constitution? I think it's right that they should know. I buy cycling related T-shirts all the time and none of them have been more then R200, oh wait the one imported T-shirt was R250.

ASG have a promo on at the moment - 3 T-shirts for R300 - branded. Normal price is R570, so still cheaper than Amashova's.

I didnt know the T-Shirt industry is regulated by the Government. Please report Diesel, CK and most designers to them, as they are trying to sell me t-shirt of R800 or more, even though they probably costs less to make than these ones. Let me know how it goes.

ASG have a promo on at the moment - 3 T-shirts for R300 - branded. Normal price is R570, so still cheaper than Amashova's.

Say WHAT, so you are saying that they can sell at 50% discount!! Thats 100% markup on the new price. How badly were they trying to rip you off in the first place!! Better report them to the National T-Shirt regulators!