Frame and Groupset Spend (MTB)

cfcjim

G'day all,

Been lurking, reading enjoying and learning for a while.

This is a question to which I find difficult to compose a sufficiently satisfying answer.

I'm looking for a medium second hand hardtail frame (26er) and expect to spend no more than 2k. What would you consider a comfortable frame to groupset ratio?

Bearing in mind this bike will be used for soft trail and commuting.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Cheers,

J

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. That's an excellent combination

I was expecting to pay about the same around (6.5k) using locally sourced (i.e. used) equipment. I have a decent spare wheelset with discs.

It's just a shame there's no stock of the medium frame....yet.

The ratio works out to about 2:1 groupset to frame, which at this end of the market seems pretty good; plus I'll have an excellent few hours building a pretty nice machine.

you will not be sorry, I have that exact setup, with an 2011 rockshocx reba (which i got for R2200 new)

Flippen ell that's a good price for a Scandal. If I was looking for something with clown wheels I'd be all over it...

I'm looking for a medium second hand hardtail frame (26er) and expect to spend no more than 2k. What would you consider a comfortable frame to groupset ratio?

Can I ask why you are thinkig of buying a buying a second hand frame and building it up? I think that for the same amount of money you should be able to pick up a really nice second hand 26" HT bike.

@eddy: Looking around, there seems to be the odd bargain frame in the used market although I've been enlightened to the fact It doesn't necessarily have to be second hand as the example dillon posted shows.

Also I want to build my own. I think I can get pretty much what I want without compromising too much. I've been disappointed in the past buying off the floor; I already have a decent wheelset and brakeset so finding a good frame and groupset seems logical (to me anyway!).