2 x 10 drivetrain

andremtb1

Please can someone help me, I have an XX crank on my bike with 42 - 28 Truvative blades. I recently ordered a new 28 tooth blade over the web but when it arrived it turned out to be a 26 tooth. Can I use the 26 tooth with a 42 tooth XX. Please help, If it is decided that the 26 wont work with a 42 then the 26 blade is for sale for R250.

usually the capability of the large blade picking up the chain off the smaller chainring by the front deraileur is worked out on the distance the chain has to travel between the two. thus for instance, changing a 38/24 set up to a 39/24 setup to get some big ring grinding advantage isnt always the best idea.

In your case, you may find that the added distance your chain must travel from the new 26 small chainring to be picked up by the existing 42, might not work all that well.

Ok it looks like it is not going to work if nobody wants to buy the blade i will be happy to swop it for any 28 tooth blade that can work

XX rings work in pairs so that the teeth are at the same distance apart as the pitch of the chain at the pickup points. Which is a long way of saying no, it won't work - you'll need a 28t. Preferably an xx 28t.

I have thebsame setup due to not focussing when ordering.

in essence, it works. but not as it should. sell it, buy the right size ring.